reef safe propagation tool?

Derek'sReef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 25, 2014
Messages
220
Reaction score
21
Location
Lexington ky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if these are safe to propagate sps with. Also can I propagate in the dt. I have a colony attached to a rock that I can't or dont want to pull out.





20140921_172530.jpg




Im mainly worried about any chemicals used on it for maybe rust resistance.
 
I'd give it a good soak in vinegar to clean off any oil coating. Other than that I don't see any problem.
 
You would definitely want to clean off the machine oil after that I have used similar in the past, but be sure to wash real well afterwards as they will rust pretty quick.
 
You would definitely want to clean off the machine oil after that I have used similar in the past, but be sure to wash real well afterwards as they will rust pretty quick.

This! Alls it takes one one time and a week...
 
The bone cutters that come in frag packs. Do they rust. I might juts buy some of those. Or maybe someone has some used ones they will sell cheap lol. Probably still gonna use these but I would like some different sizes.
 
Yes most bone cutters will rust after a while also unless you purchase stainless steel ones. Keep in mind what ever you eventually decide to use just wash really well with fresh water and dry well and they will last a long time if you don't then no matter what you use they will eventually rust in a salt water environment. :)
 
So I gotn some distilled white vinegar to soak these cutters. How long should i soak them for and should it be like a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of water and vinegar or straight vinegar.
 
Soak them in straight vinegar and I would probably scrub them with a toothbrush that you don't use anymore. I would think an 1/2 hour or so should be fine maybe scrub a few times and make sure and open and close them all the way because of any machine oil where the 2 halves are put together.
 
Thanks im gonna go that right now. Should I rinse in hot water after. Gonna do some fraggin in the mornin. Getting a frag ready for the grow out challenge.
 
Hot water should help wash away any oily residue after the scrubbing. It helps wash away cooking oil, so I imagine it would work the same for machine oil :)
My "frag kit" is a pair of diagonal pliers like the ones pictured, a razor blade and super glue. Ive never had an issue using them in or out of the water.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new