Reef safe resin for DIY reef wall?

EricTMah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone knows what resins that Home Depot or Lowes would sell that's reef safe?

I'm building a reef wall out of egg crate, rocks and Pond foam. I'm looking for a resin to coat the foam with, after it cures to cover it with crushed coral for more natural looking texture.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Aquarium-Keeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any that are for marine use...I know the stuff for ponds is the best. You can use krylon paints to make it any color if needed. Check out the diy guy on youtube, that is how I make everything, lol.

OP
OP
E

EricTMah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking to add texture and not just paint it. So any resin designed to fix boats is reef safe after it fully dries?

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can wait for the pond foam to get tacky and put the crushed coral/sand directly on it and it will stick to the foam. I build ponds and use the pond foam all the time we use dirt and small pebbles to hide the foam when working with it. Hope this helps

Aquarium-Keeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can wait for the pond foam to get tacky and put the crushed coral/sand directly on it and it will stick to the foam. I build ponds and use the pond foam all the time we use dirt and small pebbles to hide the foam when working with it. Hope this helps
I think this is the best way to do it, lol. \('-')/

Aquarium-Keeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what he is making that would be his best bet. For making decor, full backgrounds and other things clear resin with paint added for color would be better.

amppdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the way to go. If you havent used pond foam much, practice first on some scraps.

OP
OP
E

EricTMah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought about waiting till the foamwas tacky but was concerned that not all the crushed coral would stick. So i actually just picked up some "Marine boat yard fiberglass resin". Il probably try and stick most of the crushed coral to the foam itself. Then use the resin for blending and covering any spots i might have missed.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to wear gloves when working with the pond foam. It it gets on your skin it will be there for weeks. I hate wearing gloves when I'm working, but when the foam gun is out I put them on.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back