Reef safe stars

mysty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please tell me what's wrong with my star fish these spots just came up in last 6hrs I have 3 2 red and one blue but my blue was looks like this I feed them almost daily make sure there is Algae wafers in the tank so they and my turbo snail can eat but also give them access to other salt water frozen foods please help me
20221009_195226.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These type of starfish are very difficult to keep. They require a very well established tanks with a sustainable amount of biofilm algae on the rocks, glass and sand. Keeping one alive is very difficult so I can't imagine being able to keep multiple alive.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to me like your starfish may be dying - most stars in aquaria die by basically dropping legs and disintegrating. The symptoms seem similar to me to Sea Star Wasting Disease (SSWD), but I don’t know if they're actually related. Some SSWD info: “Symptoms typically include the appearance of white lesions followed by tissue decay, body fragmentation and death, often within only a few days.”*

Hopefully someone experienced with starfish (preferably professionally) can chime in here and confirm if the regular starfish death in aquaria is related to SSWD or not.

On a related note, what species is your starfish? I'd normally guess it's a Linckia "laevigata" (an ecophenotype of Linckia multifora), but it seems to have ridges on its arms that would indicate to me that it's a different species. Either way, most starfish don't actually eat algae (at least not primarily), so while the algae wafer are good for feeding your snails, they're pretty much useless for feeding the starfish. Unfortunately, for most starfish species, the frozen foods would be mostly useless too. As Lavey29 mentioned above, many starfish (including Linckia spp. stars) primarily eat biofilm (a mashup of bacteria, cyanobacteria, diatoms, fungi, etc.), which is something we can't really replicate in our aquariums for them - so most stars are thought to starve in our systems.

*The link I pulled the symptoms quote from:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to me like your starfish may be dying - most stars in aquaria die by basically dropping legs and disintegrating. The symptoms seem similar to me to Sea Star Wasting Disease (SSWD), but I don’t know if they're actually related. Some SSWD info: “Symptoms typically include the appearance of white lesions followed by tissue decay, body fragmentation and death, often within only a few days.”*

Hopefully someone experienced with starfish (preferably professionally) can chime in here and confirm if the regular starfish death in aquaria is related to SSWD or not.

On a related note, what species is your starfish? I'd normally guess it's a Linckia "laevigata" (an ecophenotype of Linckia multifora), but it seems to have ridges on its arms that would indicate to me that it's a different species. Either way, most starfish don't actually eat algae (at least not primarily), so while the algae wafer are good for feeding your snails, they're pretty much useless for feeding the starfish. Unfortunately, for most starfish species, the frozen foods would be mostly useless too. As Lavey29 mentioned above, many starfish (including Linckia spp. stars) primarily eat biofilm (a mashup of bacteria, cyanobacteria, diatoms, fungi, etc.), which is something we can't really replicate in our aquariums for them - so most stars are thought to starve in our systems.

Excellent post, I have had my linckia for well over a year now but lately he does seem to be really moving around the tank to find his food. He still looks healthy so I hope he is finding what he needs. I let the glass get dirty to help him.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah if they came up over the past 6 hours and have already progressed to that point it's doubtful there's much you can do to help him now. It may be in the best interest of your other stars if you remove him as soon as possible if/when he passes away and do a water change to try to remove the excess organic matter because this could only exacerbate the cause of the SSWD and allow it to affect your other stars next. It's thought that SSWD is at least partially caused by an excess of copiotrophic bacteria which buildup on the outer skin of the starfish and deprive them of oxygen and inhibit the release of carbon dioxide. Higher temps can also exacerbate symptoms according to research. As far as food goes I feed my Fromias Masstick and oysters which they seem to love and the Masstick seems like it would be easily digestible. However, I'm unsure if yours would go for these foods or honestly if they're even adequate for mine so I add live ocean rock to the tank to give them more biofilm from time to time as well.

Here's an attached pic with illustration from an article explaining how microbial activity may drive Sea Star Wasting Disease. (Again it might just be something else such as a sudden shift in parameters or other factor like that which caused this though.) IMG_20221010_080648.jpg

OP
OP
mysty

mysty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not really sure I got him from a local shop I've been using for a while now for all my saltwater needs I just know he's reef safe this kind of makes me sad that he maybe dying..... I've had my tank for about 6 or 7 months now and this is the second star to die since starting it I check my parameters daily to try and keep them happy....... since I have live rock live sand coral fish and Invertebrates alive and the stars have definitely been that biggest challenge for me

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure I got him from a local shop I've been using for a while now for all my saltwater needs I just know he's reef safe this kind of makes me sad that he maybe dying..... I've had my tank for about 6 or 7 months now and this is the second star to die since starting it I check my parameters daily to try and keep them happy....... since I have live rock live sand coral fish and Invertebrates alive and the stars have definitely been that biggest challenge for me
Honestly, most real starfish do poorly in our tanks at the moment (a few hobbyists and professionals are working on figuring out how to keep them long term, but it may be a long time before we figure it out properly), so I wouldn’t be too hard on yourself if it dies.

As mentioned above, though, things like Brittle Stars (which are not actually starfish at all) do well in our tanks, or - if you want an actual starfish - you could add some Aquilonastra stars (typically incorrectly referred to as Asterina stars in the hobby).

Aquilonastra stars are tiny starfish (many people think they are baby stars) that do well in our tanks (sometimes too well - they have been known to reproduce to huge numbers in our tanks) and from what I’ve seen are generally reef-safe (some people believe they eat corals; they might, they might not, it might be a specific species thing, a limited amount of food thing, the stars eating the coral’s mucus and possibly helping the coral rather than hurting it, the star just crossing an upset coral coincidentally, etc. - I’ve only seen convincing evidence of one possible Aquilonastra species eating coral, and that was a very dark colored species; most species available in the hobby are basically white, so you shouldn’t need to worry about that species, and there’s more convincing evidence of them being neutral/beneficial than harmful).

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 60 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 44 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 72 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back