Sakrete hydraulic cement....
EBA07000-B8F1-4509-9145-02F36AE0D30F.png

AquaPhilNJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of people doing the "hydraulic cement" before with no issues. I also used cement in my aquarium, but I bought it from a fish store. Based solely on your provided worksheet I can't provide any comments.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sakrete hydraulic cement....
EBA07000-B8F1-4509-9145-02F36AE0D30F.png

None of those listed chemicals in fully cured cement are a big concern. Impurities in them might be, but likely not once it is well rinsed after curing.

OP
OP
Hella_Reef

Hella_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of people doing the "hydraulic cement" before with no issues. I also used cement in my aquarium, but I bought it from a fish store. Based solely on your provided worksheet I can't provide any comments.
Yes, people use the quickrete hydraulic cement with an acrylic bonder to keep it from deteriorating overtime.

this has some chemicals that differ from the quickrete version, like aluminum sulfate.Just wanted to be sure.

here is a comparison for reference
6B3762F7-078B-4A28-9D70-98413F2FEBC0.png

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of those listed chemicals in fully cured cement are a big concern. Impurities in them might be, but likely not once it is well rinsed after curing.
Hi Randy,

The software is not letting me email you directly... I am just starting out in SW and trying to figure out how to do a pretty bonsai shaped Aquascape. E Marco 400 is so expensive. Is it ok to use Quikrete Hydraulic or what about other cement? Do I have to get an acrylic bonder? Not sure what exact product that is. Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,

The software is not letting me email you directly... I am just starting out in SW and trying to figure out how to do a pretty bonsai shaped Aquascape. E Marco 400 is so expensive. Is it ok to use Quikrete Hydraulic or what about other cement? Do I have to get an acrylic bonder? Not sure what exact product that is. Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

I don't have a preferred recipe, but in general I do not think you need agents in it to make it stronger, like the acrylic.

I'd search on DIY rock recipes and you'll see lots of discussion and recipes.

The main and most important point is to fully cure it (takes quite a while) before putting it into a reef tank since it can leach alkalinity and also raise pH.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back