Reef Savvy 60g mixed cube recovery

turbo2oh

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2017
Messages
179
Reaction score
56
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3-year old tank is recovering from a period of neglect and prolonged battle with turf algae. After trying everything, Vibrant finally won the day! Unfortunately, I've had a few casualties along the way. I'm documenting my recovery to help keep me on track!

Tank:
60g Reef Savvy cube
Acrylic sump (20x20x13)
Kessil A360WE
Kessil H80 fuge light (currently no chaeto, Vibrant wiped it out)
AquaMaxx ConeS CO-1 Skimmer
BRS Reactor - currently running a small amount of GFO
Apex
Jebao DC6000 return (I think)
Avast Marine top-off

Corals :
2 monti caps (one barely hanging on)
branching frogspawn (lost several heads)
hammer (lost several heads)
a mix of acans and shrooms
green sinularia
BIG pink finger leather
neon green candy canes
elegance coral
very small RBTA

Fish:
2 false percula clowns
1 pink streaked wrasse
1 green chromis

Inverts:
3 red scarlet crabs
6 cerith snails

Current Parameters:
Alk: 7
Ca: 425
Mg: 1440
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0
Sg: 1.026

My current questions/issues are:
- Large monti cap has white spots and dead areas, not sure what's causing it
- Should I cut the dead heads off of my frogspawn and hammer?
- I've decided not to do any dosing but just bi-weekly water changes for now. There really shouldn't be anything in the tank that's depleting it quickly. Does this sound reasonable? The only parameter that seems low-ish is Alk. I'm using Reef Crystals salt.
 
Here's a few pics of the current rough shape its in

IMG_5738.jpg


IMG_5742.jpg


IMG_5743.jpg


IMG_5744.jpg


View attachment 678446
 
Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your struggles. I just searched for Reef Savvy cubes and found this thread. Good luck.

As a random FYI, I wanted a month for AlgaeBarn to deliver Chaeto. Apparently there has been a run on clean Chaeto if you're looking to restock.
 
You never know I’ve heard of some soft LPS coming back after a head was thought to have died. No personal experience. But have heard in the past.

Probably won’t but maybe?
 
You never know I’ve heard of some soft LPS coming back after a head was thought to have died. No personal experience. But have heard in the past.

Probably won’t but maybe?

Yep, I’ve read that as well but it’s been several months. At this point I’d like to just trim them down so it looks a little nicer.
 
Euphyillia heads will not come back like Plates will unfortunately. Sorry to hear about the neglect. Unfortunately we all have been their at one time or another.
On a side note. If your fragging.... want to sell a Frag of that leather?
 
Things are starting to look better. I started feeding mysis to some of the LPS and anemone again. I don't think I fed any of them for quite awhile since I was battling algae and trying to keep my feeding to a minimum.

I think the damage to the monti is from an Alk swing so I'm also planning to start using a doser for BRS Ca/Alk, leaning towards the DOS but open to suggestions. I have heard it can be loud which isn't a deal breaker since I'm only near the tank for a few hours during the day anyway.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new