reef smell

Ok so I could be wrong, but whenever I think of the smell of a Reef tank, all I can think of is the smell of algae and dirty salt. Now, it may just be that my nose is broken lol
 
Have to agree with you, love it aswell
 
People say my basement smells like the ocean in a good way and sometimes it smells likes an estuary at low tide when I clean stuff.
 
Just an fyi chemistry break…

nearly any reef smell is from organic molecules of some sort. Ammonia and hydrogen sulfide are the only exceptions I can think of that we encounter. :)
 
I have never really noticed an ocean smell but I live on the coast so everything smells like ocean I suppose
 
Who enjoys that marine reef smell? I love it. Same smell as when you walk into a legit reef store. I’m not talking about protein skimmer smell. Just that distinct marine tank smell.
I like the smell of ocean. I worked in deep water drilling for 35 years and I like the ocean, except when nature gets mad.
 
I actually use the smell as an indicator. Don't laugh, I'm old, not crazy. Seems to my nose that when the tank is humming along it gets that "ocean" smell. When that goes sour it usually means I need to check on some things.
 
Ahhh the smell of salt, humidity and money well spent. Mmmmmmmm!

Too bad I lost my smell after a nose surgery I had over a year ago. Hopefully one day it comes back so I can enjoy the reef smells again.
 
I enjoy the smell of the ocean, at the beach. I don’t like it in my home. I do everything to mitigate anything that can create the reef smell😅
 
I live about as far from the ocean as you can get, so sometimes I lean over my tank and inhale just to enhance that feeling of being there. The smell probably comes from bacteria or something, but between ocean-side vacations and reef tanks, I have wonderful associations with it.
 
This thread is very interesting to me (as someone who lacks a sense of smell) jajaja
 
I feel like all I get is the skimmer and Nature Dimension rollers. The dirty side is totally outside the body of the roller. Seems like a terrible design idea that I only came to appreciate after I started using these. Now seems kind of obvious that the filthy/used part of the roll should be covered up!!!
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new