Reef tank flow with icecap gyre

Musicrocx09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a tank 2 days ago and I got the icecap gyre 2k as part of the used setup. I have no idea what sort of flow/settings/intensities etc is best for my planned mixed reef. The display is only 40gallons and even with the pump at 32% it does a fair bit of splashing. Someone on Facebook did tell me last night to never run on “constant” but that seems to be the gyres default

basically just looking for very exact advice on settings

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the hydros app, set it to reef crest during the day, and nutrient export at night, both at 25%-30% min/max intensity. This will give a good range of movement for lps such as hammers and euphyllia as well as strong varied flow for crayons. You can swivel the guards so that the angle doesn't throw water outside the tank. I have mine set up this way in a 60 cube, and the flow is outstanding, but not overpowering.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love those things, I have 2 in 32 gallon, I like a lot of flow in my tanks.

Personally I use the 4 square set up on both at 40% at nights, and only one during the day (for my clam's sake) at about 35%.

It really takes a lot of experimenting to get it the way you like. Put an airstone in the tank and try out the different settings, the bubbles will make it easy to see the flow.

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a tank 2 days ago and I got the icecap gyre 2k as part of the used setup. I have no idea what sort of flow/settings/intensities etc is best for my planned mixed reef. The display is only 40gallons and even with the pump at 32% it does a fair bit of splashing. Someone on Facebook did tell me last night to never run on “constant” but that seems to be the gyres default

basically just looking for very exact advice on settings
Put it just low enough under the surface so that it does not suck in air or splash around. Make sure to incorporate a gyre mode every few hours to get rid of any built up air bubbles and keep it running silent. Mine will start to get a loud whine when it runs for more than 8 hours without removing the air bubbles. I like running pulse mode with intermittent gyres and the occasional short but very intense flow to get things moving into the water column. Constant is okay but random/wave like flow will probably be better.

OP
OP
Musicrocx09

Musicrocx09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love those things, I have 2 in 32 gallon, I like a lot of flow in my tanks.

Personally I use the 4 square set up on both at 40% at nights, and only one during the day (for my clam's sake) at about 35%.

It really takes a lot of experimenting to get it the way you like. Put an airstone in the tank and try out the different settings, the bubbles will make it easy to see the flow.
I thought I read on another one of these that the 4 square is harsh on the gyre.

the Bible idea is good!

OP
OP
Musicrocx09

Musicrocx09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the hydros app, set it to reef crest during the day, and nutrient export at night, both at 25%-30% min/max intensity. This will give a good range of movement for lps such as hammers and euphyllia as well as strong varied flow for crayons. You can swivel the guards so that the angle doesn't throw water outside the tank. I have mine set up this way in a 60 cube, and the flow is outstanding, but not overpowering.
I didn’t know those could move. I’ll have to look into that. I figure the purpose was it make a wave above the water
Which of these do you think would be “reef crest”?
AA38A342-8748-4C4C-AC98-D1276100BA6A.png

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know those could move. I’ll have to look into that. I figure the purpose was it make a wave above the water
Which of these do you think would be “reef crest”?
AA38A342-8748-4C4C-AC98-D1276100BA6A.png
Ocean Swell is reef crest mode. Random and LPS reef are also great for movement and reducing dead spots

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back