REEF TANK - Minor Issue (Thanks for looking!!!)

Ganny’s Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Friends,

I've finally gotten a chance to set up my reef tank (first one!!!) and I've done so, simply by purchasing a home.

All jokes aside, I need some guidance from fellow reefers on a rinky dink thing going on with my set up.

To start things off, I'll list all equipment used in this setup so I could be easier to understand my concerns.

Tank - Aqueon 75 Gallon Drilled w/ Offset Overflow
Sump - Eshopps Rs-75
Protein Skimmer - Octo 110S
Return Pump - Octo Varios 2

Everything has been connected, plumbing has been done and everything is operating smooth, for the most part. The only issue I have run into is the drain plumbing that drops into the sump has a leak. It seems to be backdrafted water that has nowhere to go. Any tips or recommendations for this? I've included a photo and a video of this issue to show it in real time.

Thanks for looking and Happy Reefing! :)

Full Tank.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-0699.MOV
    9.5 MB

spearo0352

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use plumbers tape on the connection by any chance? If not that might seal it up.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell if the leak is coming from the uniseal or the pipe fittings. The pipe fittings appear to have silicone on them. They should be glued with cement made specifically for PVC pipe.

OP
OP
Ganny’s Aquarium

Ganny’s Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell if the leak is coming from the uniseal or the pipe fittings. The pipe fittings appear to have silicone on them. They should be glued with cement made specifically for PVC pipe.
The seals are holding just fine with no leaks. As for the one at the top of the sump, that is the only place.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the leak is where the pipe enters the uniseal, the hole for the uniseal is probably too big. It could also be leaking at the elbow.

I watched the video again. It looks like the leak is coming from where the pipe that is in the uniseal connects to the elbow.

Again, it looks like silicone was used on the fittings. If so, that's not going to cut it. Also, silicone has a characteristic where after curing, nothing will stick to it-not even more silicone.

OP
OP
Ganny’s Aquarium

Ganny’s Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the leak is where the pipe enters the uniseal, the hole for the uniseal is probably too big. It could also be leaking at the elbow.

I watched the video again. It looks like the leak is coming from where the pipe that is in the uniseal connects to the elbow.

Again, it looks like silicone was used on the fittings. If so, that's not going to cut it. Also, silicone has a characteristic where after curing, nothing will stick to it-not even more silicone.
Thinking back on it I will definitely be re-doing the plumbing properly, so thanks for the tip on that. Would you suggest I run a longer drain line to the uniseal and have union fitting in there somewhere for easy access to cleaning and such?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don’t use silicone. You don’t put 1000s of dollars of livestock in a tank to only cut corners on properly sealing the plumbing. Silicone is for glass.

You can use a screw union or a rubber one with clamps for removal of the pipes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back