Reef Tank Teardown

Ryan98720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I have decided to tear down my reef tank after about a year and a half! It has been a wonderful hobby! I have learned so much and plan to get back into it one day! Sadly, while I was out of town I had a complete tank crash. 36 gallon bowfront tank. The tank had been neglected for a bit leading to the crash so I know that its my fault. That being said at the time I only had two clownfish that I have just rehomed. All of the corals have died.

Honestly, It came at a perfect time if there is such a thing. I am preparing to start PA school in the Fall and I know I wont have the time to maintain the tank during that time... But like I said, I really want to get back into the hobby one day! I plan to keep whatever I can... Do any of you guys have any recommendations on how to prep and store things for use in the coming years?

As far as the sand goes, I had a huge problem with bristle worms at the end so I plan to just throw out the old sand and start new with that when it comes time... The rock is also littered with worms so I dont believe anyone will be interested in taking it as is... What is the best way to prepare the rock for storage?

Any and all advice is truly appreciated :)

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to tear my tank down every few years due to military move.
I use a tote and soak in bleach water until white again. Once it’s white dump in dechlorinator until the chlorine test comes back to zero. Set in the sun to dry. Once dried place in a clean tote for storage.

OP
OP
R

Ryan98720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to tear my tank down every few years due to military move.
I use a tote and soak in bleach water until white again. Once it’s white dump in dechlorinator until the chlorine test comes back to zero. Set in the sun to dry. Once dried place in a clean tote for storage.
Thanks for the advice! And thank you for your service! I was thinking that might be the best way to do it but just wanted some advice so I appreciate it!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back