Reef Tank Testing on a Budget?

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I know some people instantly buy the whole Hanna Bundle, but if I'm on a budget what combination would you recommend? I know red sea has consistent testing. I know for sure a Hanna test kit for Alk, but would red sea testing be sufficient for everything else? I have a nano tank also so testing is needed weekly, if not sooner.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use salifert on all my tests. Hannah checkers are nice but you can get a whole kit of saliferts for the price of 2 hannahs.
Agreed. Salifert kits perfectly adequate. I use the calcium. I use red sea for Mag but that's bc I already have it and don't test it all that often, but I'll move to salifert when it's time. I do use hannah for nitrate and alk (and phosphate as soon as I can afford it) because I'm colorblind and those kits are very difficult for me to read.

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay I know some people instantly buy the whole Hanna Bundle, but if I'm on a budget what combination would you recommend? I know red sea has consistent testing. I know for sure a Hanna test kit for Alk, but would red sea testing be sufficient for everything else? I have a nano tank also so testing is needed weekly, if not sooner.
The only hanna checker that is a must-have is alk. Anything else is a luxury, imo. I have 3 tanks and only ever do additional testing for nitrate (high range hanna), phosphate (ultra low range hanna) and then salifert for calcium and mag once every few months maybe? I couldn't even tell you honestly lol. How old is your tank? If it's new, I wouldn't bother with any of these for now. maybe get 1 kit as you can and then wait for black friday sales and pick up another 1 or 2. I don't bother testing alk until the tank is a few months old and coral growth is starting to take off, just to help guide my dosing regimen. But in the end, the only Hanna's I'd invest in are nitrade HR, phosphate ULR and alk. Read up the rest but I'll give you a hint: the reviews are not good.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back