Reef tank upgrade 100g + need some advice

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get a 100+ gallon reef ready tank and I'm stuck! I was looking at the rsr 350 or waterbox 100.3 both displays under 100g and kinda pricy which is ok I can afford it but I'm wondering what other option are out there. I originally stuck on these 2 but really am wondering what other options exist.

Any 2 cents would be appreciated!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get a 100+ gallon reef ready tank and I'm stuck! I was looking at the rsr 350 or waterbox 100.3 both displays under 100g and kinda pricy which is ok I can afford it but I'm wondering what other option are out there. I originally stuck on these 2 but really am wondering what other options exist.

Any 2 cents would be appreciated!
Glass or acrylic?

OP
OP
Anubisxii

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny you ask. I've always thought glass was the way to go but I just got a trigger acrylic sump and not only was it beautiful but weighed nothing, my skimmer is 2x the weight of the empty sump. So to answer I'm not sure of any good vs bad with both mediums but I would be open to both.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny you ask. I've always thought glass was the way to go but I just got a trigger acrylic sump and not only was it beautiful but weighed nothing, my skimmer is 2x the weight of the empty sump. So to answer I'm not sure of any good vs bad with both mediums but I would be open to both.
Glass scratch resistant, heavier, cheaper
Acrylic, light, seems to be clearer, more money
I added a 20g acrylic satellite to my 75g dt.
I got a clear for life from fish tanks direct, so far so good.
Acrylic is thicker in general, and might have euro bracing on top that restricts access.
In my case the 20 g was 3/16", not so bad with euro brace.
Acrylic easy to drill

OP
OP
Anubisxii

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I'm checking them out now. Thank you for the heads up. Looks like they have a 150 g acrylic for around the price range of a rsr 350. I just need to look up the difference as I've only had a few glass tanks.

OP
OP
Anubisxii

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass scratch resistant, heavier, cheaper
Acrylic, light, seems to be clearer, more money
I added a 20g acrylic satellite to my 75g dt.
I got a clear for life from fish tanks direct, so far so good.
Acrylic is thicker in general, and might have euro bracing on top that restricts access.
In my case the 20 g was 3/16", not so bad with euro brace.
Acrylic easy to drill

Thank you. I don't mind the euro brace as much as other people. I guess this opens me to more options. I not a huge fan of the dumps on the red sea or waterbox tank, if I recall they don't have options for both a fuge and skimmer, its a one or the other and I kinda like having both.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I don't mind the euro brace as much as other people. I guess this opens me to more options. I not a huge fan of the dumps on the red sea or waterbox tank, if I recall they don't have options for both a fuge and skimmer, its a one or the other and I kinda like having both.
Yes, I have both, no sox.

OP
OP
Anubisxii

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still use a filter sock, should I not be? I've seen a lot of people go sockless. I have a mixed reef so I know it makes sense I just never made the leap

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still use a filter sock, should I not be? I've seen a lot of people go sockless. I have a mixed reef so I know it makes sense I just never made the leap
I'm lazy. Got tired of changing every 4 days. Longer and its a nitrate source. Also, corals might like to eat some of what is filtered.

puckett26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the waterbox 130.4. Obviously more expensive than the 100.3 but worth it. Can’t beat the 24” deep tank, makes such a huge difference!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back