Reef tank with no filter

derrick.hiebert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon reef tank that’s been running for about 2 years now and I’ve only been using an Aquarclear HOB filter and nothing else for filtration, no sump. I’m debating taking it off because it’s noisy and I don’t like the look.

I’ve got mostly soft corals in there along with
2 clownfish
2 firefish
1 algae blenny
1 pajama cardinal
1 blue tang (it’s young and will be moved when grown)

I’m debating running this 55g with only surface flow and the live rock and sand. (60 lbs live rock and 60 lbs sand) and am wondering what other people think of it and if I’ll have success given what I’ve stocked my 55g with already.

thanks!

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry about scum building up at the surface with no filter and no skimmer.

How much flow do you have? What is your watcer change schedule?

Upvote 0

tyler-b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’d prioritize having a skimmer over the HOB filter. Like most mechanical filters if you don’t rinse the sponges out in the Aquaclear the waste just sits and breaks down . Where as skimmer cups completely remove waste from the water column and help with gas exchange.

Upvote 0

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the HOB used (i.e. what media)? You may want to replace with something less noisy if it has any media you feel is important (ceramic and/or chemical); a canister filter is probably a better choice if you do that..

But in general something like a canister or HOB does very little for a reef tank, and sometimes is actually a negative if mostly mechanical filtration that just accumulates debris/waste that breaks down anyways.

Running a reef tank with just flow and rocks/sand is perfectly viable, and you may be essentially doing that already. As noted in posts above, if I were to have any filter on a 55g with no sump, it would be a solid HOB skimmer. Beyond that only a small reactor style filter for chemical media like carbon, as needed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

derrick.hiebert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry about scum building up at the surface with no filter and no skimmer.

How much flow do you have? What is your watcer change schedule?
Honestly I don’t change it that much, I don’t know how much of that is because of the filtration I’m considering removing but ideally not too frequently for changes

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

derrick.hiebert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d prioritize having a skimmer over the HOB filter. Like most mechanical filters if you don’t rinse the sponges out in the Aquaclear the waste just sits and breaks down . Where as skimmer cups completely remove waste from the water column and help with gas exchange.
Yeah I’ve always put that aside, maybe an HOB skimmer is the next move

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They perform 2 different functions imo. I have both on my tank and wouldn't do without either. If your HoB makes too much noise, maybe raising water level will cure it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

derrick.hiebert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the HOB used (i.e. what media)? You may want to replace with something less noisy if it has any media you feel is important (ceramic and/or chemical); a canister filter is probably a better choice if you do that..

But in general something like a canister or HOB does very little for a reef tank, and sometimes is actually a negative if mostly mechanical filtration that just accumulates debris/waste that breaks down anyways.

Running a reef tank with just flow and rocks/sand is perfectly viable, and you may be essentially doing that already. As noted in posts above, if I were to have any filter on a 55g with no sump, it would be a solid HOB skimmer. Beyond that only a small reactor style filter for chemical media like carbon, as needed.
It’s just some spongelike pads and a bag of Fluval brand biological media

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a sponge (in case a hospital tank is needed), some filter floss which I change every few days, and either chemipure elite or carbon as necessary.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back