Reef temperature monitoring

Medic56

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone suggest a good thermometer for monitoring the temperature in my tank? I can’t seem to find anything very accurate so far.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk reef supply had video on heaters, I suspect they might have explained their testing method for accurate measurement. But do you mean for monitoring remotely like an Apex? Most k type thermocouple based thermometers are accurate enough for daily use, but calibrating the brs video may help.

braappn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Traceable-Dual-Thermometer/dp/B006T5B3KG

This is theoretically exactly what you are looking for, but I have found it to be tough to set up. I think it gets electrical interference from the other power cords and stuff around your tank.

It's great because it's cheap and it'll store the min/max readings along with the time that they occur. Also two probes can do display and sump, or tank temp and air temp.

Problem is mine will log false low temps in the 60s. I think if you could make sure to isolate the unit, including the cord and probes, away from other electronics it would work great for about 40 bucks.

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had two thermometers agree. Best to get a few thermometers of different types and you'll get close enough. I use 3 including a hand held infrared which I use to easily measure different parts of the tank.

robert long

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone suggest a good thermometer for monitoring the temperature in my tank? I can’t seem to find anything very accurate so far.
I have 4 different types on my tank. I checked and two of them were close within .5 deg c of a thermal camera. The worst reading 2c out was from seneye. I trimed that and now it's not too bad. Within .5 deg c at this time.

Back