View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love a follow for follow on Instagram reef_gem
20220125_233058.jpg
IMG_20220126_160703_011.jpg

Quick low down.

Been out of the game for about 5 years. Left my 125g at my old house for my parents to enjoy.
I've since moved and can't fit a big system on my main floor so I picked up a reefer 170. I want to enjoy the tank as much as I can. Once I finish my basement I will get a large system again.

I was in the hobby for about 10 years. Lets see what I can do with this smaller system.

I love feedback, recommendations, were all here to help. Be nice lol but if there is a better way to do something let me know!!

Goals:

Aquascape: I like minimalist, I usually leave a lot of space around the rocks. This being only 24x20 I am going to try and utilize all the space I can for coral but keep the scape authentically pleasing. Going to be glowing rocks for a while.

Coral: softy, lps, few forgiving hard corals. Aiming for colorful.

Fish: i can't wait to fill this with tangs. Lol I'm sad I can't have tangs in here but. Hoping for a pair of clowns, cardinals, mostly smaller fish I can enjoy in this smaller tank.
I would actually really like some recommendations here.

Equipment: radion xr30 pro. Or ai prime 16 HD u have both. Haven't decided.

Mp40

Vectra 2.

I dont have a skimmer yet!!! Waiting to pick one up. Recos?

Tank is up. I smashed up some rocks.

Lets gooooo!!!!

Thank you for reading if you made it this far.

OP
OP
Reef_gems

Reef_gems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a cardboard copy of the tank dimensions out of diaper boxes. Woo kids are fun.

I marked the waterline and where I want the height of the scape to be.

Cracked open a beer and started gluing.

It looks far better in person than pictures. That's it for tonight.

20220125_233237.jpg
20220125_233110.jpg
20220125_233228.jpg

OP
OP
Reef_gems

Reef_gems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on a control board.
Here is the template.

Anything I should know?
Add?
remove?
Ect

Thank you!

20220215_194427.jpg

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank. I had the Radion G5Pro but decided to go with the Kessil 500x. Vectra for return pump, 2 mp10s and a Royal Exclusive skimmer.

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank. I had the Radion G5Pro but decided to go with the Kessil 500x. Vectra for return pump, 2 mp10s and a Royal Exclusive skimmer.
Do you have picture tank under G5? does it cover the entire tank. I'm thinking to upgrade to G5. I have the same tank, but lot of Acropora
Why're you switching to Kessil 500x

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a photo with the G5. I switched to the Kessil because the spectrum is set, the shimmer is nice, easy to adjust on their app. I like the look of the small light,it’s well out of the way when I need to do maintenance inside the tank. Very easy to raise if needed. Very quiet fan. The Radion was 9 inches above tank and always bent forward on their arm, it was in the way for maintenance, loud fan. I’ve had Radions for years, switching them out with the newest model. I’m happy with the Kessil 500x, definitely a strong light. I have a mimosa clam on the bottom to the edge, no problem with lighting, SPS and LPS.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back