Reefer 170 Build - Looking for feedback, criticism and ideas!

bk_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

Long time lurker, was previously into the hobby but had to take a step back because life.

Anyhow, I am not in a position where I can start a new tank! YAY! As such, I am looking for some feedback for a planned build, Red Sea Reefer 170. This will be a SPS/LPS/Softies/Fish with live sand/rock.

Here is where I am so far:
  • Tank: Red Sea Reefer 170
  • Lighting: EcoTech Marine Radion XR30w G4 Pro LED w/ Mounting arm and diffuser
  • Powerhead: MP10 WQD x1 (for now... 2 if needed)
  • Heater: Eheim Jager TruTemp 150 Watt x2 (one connected to controller, one not for backup)
  • Return Pump: Sicce Syncra Silent 2.0
  • ATO: Smart AWC (with reservoir for RO/DI and Salt. Thinking either small % daily water change or weekly but I like this as it makes the process automated)
  • Skimmer: Reef Octopus 110SSS (was looking at Curve 5 but minimum water height is beyond stock sump for the 170)
  • Controller: Neptune ApexEL (I can't justify the additional cost for the regular APEX and I keep hearing that the Salinity/ORP probes are meh)
My thoughts here before beginning the cycle are:
  1. Remove stock ATO in favor of AWC listed above
  2. DIY Chaeto Reactor
  3. Possible custom sump manifold for above reactor and expansion options if needed for other reactors (biopellets, etc)
  4. Run tank for a few months slowly, and manual does if needed. I don't want to just dose for coral I don't have, and therefore if the time is right, I will add a doser if needed.
Stocking plans:
  • 4-8 appropriately sized fish
    • clown
    • blenny
    • goby
    • chromis
    • etc
  • LPS corals
  • SPS
  • Some softies (zoa, etc)
Aquascape:
  • 10-15 lbs live rock
    • supplement above with dry rock ($$$$ saving measure, but looking for feedback on this)
  • I was looking for ideas relevant for multiple levels, sort of like a tower that I can appropriately place different light requirement corals on and set up different flow rate zones)
Thank you!

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You will definitely want more than 1 MP10... I loved my Octopus 110 int skimmer so i'm sure this one will be great. I was confused at first because it reads you are "not" in a position to start a new tank, but must be a typo. Off to a great start. I started with half live and half dry rock as well. It's a great plan.

welcome.gif

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
List looks great. Personally, i would get a second MP10 and skip the controller for now. Its cool and adds several benefits, but none that are equal to good flow in the system. I dont have a controller and havent for years. I did buy the DA Reefkeeper, but i use that for a timer on my fuge lite and for a heater controller since i just use Aqueon Pro heaters.

Enjoy and post pics as it all comes together

OP
OP
B

bk_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
List looks great. Personally, i would get a second MP10 and skip the controller for now. Its cool and adds several benefits, but none that are equal to good flow in the system. I dont have a controller and havent for years. I did buy the DA Reefkeeper, but i use that for a timer on my fuge lite and for a heater controller since i just use Aqueon Pro heaters.

Enjoy and post pics as it all comes together

To be honest I am so on the fence about the controller as it looks almost... unnecessary when most of the equipment can be controlled from it's own device. I guess in the future it is easy enough to add. Thanks for the feedback!!

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Welcome to R2R!

I have a 170 and love it. Your list looks good, more than I run. I use the same skimmer and it works great. I also agree that you will want more than 1 powerhead for a more random flow.

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I am so on the fence about the controller as it looks almost... unnecessary when most of the equipment can be controlled from it's own device. I guess in the future it is easy enough to add. Thanks for the feedback!!
No problem. Controllers are awesome and the folks that have them mostly say they would never go back. But what is it going to do for you that you dont have without it? Thats the question you need to answer. I control my lights and pumps with the ecotech app, the heaters with their controller (kind of) and thats really it. Toggle switches for tank maintenance but for 20$ i can do that without the investment of a controller.

To each their own and if you buy it you most likely will not regret it, but i would make sure you have everything you want and buy it last. Lighting and flow are to important to cheap out on in place of a controller.

OP
OP
B

bk_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You will definitely want more than 1 MP10... I loved my Octopus 110 int skimmer so i'm sure this one will be great. I was confused at first because it reads you are "not" in a position to start a new tank, but must be a typo. Off to a great start. I started with half live and half dry rock as well. It's a great plan.

welcome.gif

Oh how the power of one letter changes a statement lol!

Thanks for this feedback! Really excited to get this rolling :)

16Reefer170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the RSR 170 since 2016, and love it. I have had a lot of trouble with heaters in the past, but the neo-therm 150 has been bulletproof. Now I won’t use any other heater. I have been using the jabeo dcp-5000 for a year, and have been very happy with it. I only run at 45% power, but it is very nice to have the dc adjustments, and it is silent. Good luck with the new build, it should be a lot of fun!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back