Reefer 170 owners: any chance you fit Simplicy 120 and Skimz MBR127?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a long shot I know, but I wanted to see if anyone out there with a Reefer 170 has both a Simplicity 120 skimmer and a Skimz MBR1270 Macroalgae reactor in the skimmer chamber?

I measured the chamber with my skimmer in it, and I think it's off by 1.5 inches if I wanted to set the skimmer and reactor side by side. I'm wondering if anyone crammed it offset somehow in the chamber?

I'm leaning towards not going for it and investing eventually into one of those Pax Bellum ARID ones that can run inline external of the sump.

I know, there are a lot of other options, like DIY reactors or just throwing chaeto into the sump. I don't want to do the first, because there's no good solution for cooling the LED's, and the latter I don't want because I'm trying to avoid unnecessary growth in/around my sump compartments.

scurvy dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can fit a Bubble Magnus Curve 5 along with the Skimz MBR127 in the RSR 170 sump no problems. Looks like the Simplicity 120 is slightly smaller footprint than the Curve 5, so you should be fine. I do have them offset from each other. On a side note, the Skimz MBR127 has an o-ring at the top that is a royal pain in the you know what. Mine was leaking air, causing air to suck into the pump intake near the top of the unit. This caused the unit to burp air. Really annoying! Almost sent it back until I finally cut out a flat gasket from a rubber gasket sheet from the hardware store ($3). Works like a charm now. Cheato growing like a weed. The LED's are pretty cool to the touch so I don't think it adds much if any heat to the water. Love it now.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can fit a Bubble Magnus Curve 5 along with the Skimz MBR127 in the RSR 170 sump no problems. Looks like the Simplicity 120 is slightly smaller footprint than the Curve 5 so you should be fine. On a side note, the Skimz MBR127 has an o-ring at the top that is a royal pain in the you know what. Mine was leaking air, causing air to suck into the pump intake. This caused the unit to burp air. Really annoying! Almost sent it back until I finally cut out a flat gasket from a rubber gasket sheet from the hardware store. Works like a charm now. Cheato growing like a weed. Love it now.

Hey Scurvy, thanks for the reply. Do you have a photo of your sump with them inside?

Also, what about the o-ring is a pain? The fact that it leaks air or that it's hard to open?

scurvy dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Scurvy, thanks for the reply. Do you have a photo of your sump with them inside?

Also, what about the o-ring is a pain? The fact that it leaks air or that it's hard to open?
Never posted a pic on this forum so will look into getting you a pic. The O-ring is a pain to put back together also because it sits around the top rim of the tube. There is very little tolerance on the rim and the clear top, so the o-ring tends to roll off before you can get the top on. Kind of hard to explain. The revised gasket mod I used is 100% better than the original design and its very easy to do. Now the rubber gasket sits between the rim of the tube and the clear top and seals it nicely.

scurvy dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the pics. As you can see, it is tight but works. I still have room to change out socks. You can see my flat gasket mod also.
lwKdybe.jpg

epwhjbG.jpg

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you! For some reason my simplicity skimmer looks like it would take more space. Here's a photo of it:

36157139273_3f6dff5abb_b.jpg

I stuck my ATO reservoir next to the skimmer because I was thinking of making that the fuge, and just putting it in the chamber and having it overflow out. But I think a MBR127 would be a better idea.

I'm also considering getting an external reactor and wrapping it with LED lights if this doesn't fit. I like how the skimz has the little "flower petal" base, so it can fit both the screws and tuck right up next to the skimmer base.

scurvy dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you! For some reason my simplicity skimmer looks like it would take more space. Here's a photo of it:

36157139273_3f6dff5abb_b.jpg

I stuck my ATO reservoir next to the skimmer because I was thinking of making that the fuge, and just putting it in the chamber and having it overflow out. But I think a MBR127 would be a better idea.

I'm also considering getting an external reactor and wrapping it with LED lights if this doesn't fit. I like how the skimz has the little "flower petal" base, so it can fit both the screws and tuck right up next to the skimmer base.
The footprint dims have the Curve 5 at 7.28"L x 7.08"W x 18.5"H and the simplicity is at 6.7L x6.3 W x 18.5". Maybe just an optical illusion. I looked at the Pax Bellums also and just couldn't jusify paying that much. The Skimz was high enough!

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The footprint dims have the Curve 5 at 7.28"L x 7.08"W x 18.5"H and the simplicity is at 6.7L x6.3 W x 18.5". Maybe just an optical illusion. I looked at the Pax Bellums also and just couldn't jusify paying that much. The Skimz was high enough!

Probably just optical for sure. Thank you!

And yeah, Skimz is already high enough. I just wish it could be mounted externally! I'm already running an overpowered Skimz pump to my chiller, so having it inline would be perfect.

scurvy dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just optical for sure. Thank you!

And yeah, Skimz is already high enough. I just wish it could be mounted externally! I'm already running an overpowered Skimz pump to my chiller, so having it inline would be perfect.
Where would you mount the Pax? There is only about 4.5" between the sump and the cabinet. Yeah, it's always better if you can eliminate a pump.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where would you mount the Pax? There is only about 4.5" between the sump and the cabinet. Yeah, it's always better if you can eliminate a pump.

There's a closet next to my tank (kind of). I've already plumbed my ATO reservoir (5g) with Neptune ATK system there, as well as a chiller inline with a BRS mini reactor. It'd be really easy to add another BRS single reactor in there with lights wrapped around it, or the Pax.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back