Reefer 170 refugium no skimmer

Daan Hijmans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

Due to my kid growing out of her playspace I ended up making a deal with the devil (gf) and having to downsize from a reefer 350 to a 170.

For some time I really wanted to start a tank which has a refugium as it’s primary filtration. I currently have a vertex omega 150 which will take up all the sump space in the new tank

My stocking plans are:
-2 snowflake clowns
-A small wrasse (yellow coris)
-Fridmani or royal gramma

So my question is: what do you think about running the tank with the entire sump as a fuge with a marine pure block for some additional surface area and NO skimmer. I might add a small skimmer in the return section later, if that’s even possible with the water depth.

I’d love to hear what you guys think [emoji4]

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 46gal with an algae scrubber.
No skimmer for years. Just GAC, some filter floss & the scrubber.
Tank heavily stocked with fish, & heavily fed. Rarely do water changes, & only then because i live on the coast.
Po4 0.03 no3 zero to 5ppm.

Had the same fish for several years, sps, lps & softies all do well.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I’m thinking a marine pure block with some chaeto lit by a kessil h80. If needed I might add a bubble magus c7 because of it’s small footprint. Any thoughts anyone?
Magnus for what purpose?
Growing chaeto will remove co2 / oxygenate the water, & activated carbon will remove much more DOC than a skimmer.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a reefer 170 with Chaeto under a 36w grow bulb and no skimmer or marinepure. Works so well that I try to overfeed periodically, so I’d say go Refugium and see how it goes

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read reports of MarinePure leaching heavy metals (aluminum), so I'd skip that. Some live rock rubble with the chaeto should be fine.

I remember activated charcoal removing yellowing agents and avoiding an up to 25% PAR reduction (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/When-should-you-change-your-carbon-How-To-Tuesday/). This was the video which convinced me that activated charcoal was quite useful in a reef tank. (I'm extrapolating that yellowing agents are roughly equivalent to soft coral toxins or other problematic organics; I don't have data to support this but I do have soft and LPS corals, but SPS don't generally do well except Cyphastrea seems to do ok)

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/1/aafeature - skimmer performance article

Good luck!

16Reefer170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I came across this and was wondering how things are going? Are you using a skimmer? I am thinking of removing my skimmer, but am unsure of how the tank will do without.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having an algae outbreak currently due to a prior tank mini-crash from messing up some additives as well as some unwanted zoas I'm eliminating. In general, was doing fine before the mini-crash.

OP
OP
Daan Hijmans

Daan Hijmans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I came across this and was wondering how things are going? Are you using a skimmer? I am thinking of removing my skimmer, but am unsure of how the tank will do without.

Wow sorry for the late reply. Reefer 170 got taken down due to starting some construction on our home to house a bigger kitchen and dining room. (yes ofcourse a bigger tank).

I would say a refugium is superior on removing nitrates and phosfates than a skimmer. It might be beneficial to find another way to oxygenate the water when you remove it though.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back