OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest addition Flaming Bugatti chalice. Not the best picture but will try to get one down the down road.

Excited about this coral...

05-23-2021-Cleanup .jpg

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is progression pic of coral on Moonshine. This is a 2fer. Its OP and ASD Rainbow and show the big transformation on Moonshine with 9 months growth. I am torn on this one since the ASD started out with that beautiful purple color on the base but lost the color after the Texas winter storm and losing power for 5 days. Still a nice though. These pieces started very very small as you can see and were banks.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Pakman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there.. It's called a Random Flow Generator made by VCA. I have it installed just below the water surface but do move it up and down a little to change the flow. Make sure they are not too low below the water surface plus you want the surface to tumble They are not solid pieces but have grooves around the tube that pulls in water to great the random flow. When you turn the return pump off and the tank water lowers air gets sucked in breaking the siphon. There are some videos on there site. Hope this helps Here is the link https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/product-category/water-movement/
Hey there.. It's called a Random Flow Generator made by VCA. I have it installed just below the water surface but do move it up and down a little to change the flow. Make sure they are not too low below the water surface plus you want the surface to tumble They are not solid pieces but have grooves around the tube that pulls in water to great the random flow. When you turn the return pump off and the tank water lowers air gets sucked in breaking the siphon. There are some videos on there site. Hope this helps Here is the link https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/product-category/water-movement/
@Dal-Reef Question regarding the VCA generator. The nipple that comes with the Red Sea needs to be removed in order to slip on the VCA unit. The only thing holding the nipple was white Teflon tape. When I tried to install the VCA, it slide on very loose. Was your unit loose when you installed it? Also, did you put on any Teflon tape prior to install?

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dal-Reef Question regarding the VCA generator. The nipple that comes with the Red Sea needs to be removed in order to slip on the VCA unit. The only thing holding the nipple was white Teflon tape. When I tried to install the VCA, it slide on very loose. Was your unit loose when you installed it? Also, did you put on any Teflon tape prior to install?
I did not put any Teflon tape. I just slipped it on and it was sung but not really tight. You have to remember there is no pressure and the VCA slips over the Red Sea return so the flows in inside of the return nozzle. I hope that makes since but its not real tight. I actual have 2 of them. When its time to clean I just pull the dirty one off and put on the clean one so the no downtime why its cleaning. Hope this helps is not hit me back if not.

Pakman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not put any Teflon tape. I just slipped it on and it was sung but not really tight. You have to remember there is no pressure and the VCA slips over the Red Sea return so the flows in inside of the return nozzle. I hope that makes since but its not real tight. I actual have 2 of them. When its time to clean I just pull the dirty one off and put on the clean one so the no downtime why its cleaning. Hope this helps is not hit me back if not.
@Dal-Reef My concern was the VCA popping off once the return pump was on and flowing.

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated pics. They were quick shots and not the best but wanted to post something show the progress. Tank is 1.8 years old but really took a hit with power out for 5 days during the Texas winter storm. Taken it 3 months to turn the corner. Starting to bounce back though.

TopRightDown1.jpg
TopRightDown2.jpg
TopRightDown3.jpg
TopRightDown4.jpg
TopRightDown5.jpg
TopRightDown6.jpg
TopRightDown6.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome!!!

Thanks brother.. As all of our tanks its a work in progress but love this hobby. Down here in Texas we had the winter storm in February were all of Texas lost power. I lost power for 5 days keep the tank alive using a generator and min equipment running. The house got down to 44 degrees and the tank down to 60. That was 4 months ago and the tank is bouncing back nicely now. Now just to let it grow.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Struggles are hard, but that bouncing back is what counts! You've continued to press on, and it shows in the results!!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks brother.. As all of our tanks its a work in progress but love this hobby. Down here in Texas we had the winter storm in February were all of Texas lost power. I lost power for 5 days keep the tank alive using a generator and min equipment running. The house got down to 44 degrees and the tank down to 60. That was 4 months ago and the tank is bouncing back nicely now. Now just to let it grow.
@Dal-Reef how did you connect your generator to your tank’s equipment? Just through an extension cord or did you connect to your house’s circuit.

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dal-Reef how did you connect your generator to your tank’s equipment? Just through an extension cord or did you connect to your house’s circuit.
Just extension cord. We will be building a new home in the coming year.. our retirement home..... and will be putting in a full house back up generator.

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the 5 day power outage we had during the February Texas winter storm this year I am fighting green cyano. I tried several things. Increased nutrients, reduced nutrients, increased flow( already have a ton) lowered lighting intensity, turned off T5 for 4 days, dosed BioDigest but this will crap not go away. Mainly on sand bed. I am at the wits end on this. I sure don't want to dose chemicals but going to try RedCyano RX by Blue Vet. Anyone every used this?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the 5 day power outage we had during the February Texas winter storm this year I am fighting green cyano. I tried several things. Increased nutrients, reduced nutrients, increased flow( already have a ton) lowered lighting intensity, turned off T5 for 4 days, dosed BioDigest but this will crap not go away. Mainly on sand bed. I am at the wits end on this. I sure don't want to dose chemicals but going to try RedCyano RX by Blue Vet. Anyone every used this?
@Dal-Reef IMO & IME changing things up in haste makes things worse. Stability promotes success for a system, and when the system isn’t stable nuisances just get a stronger hold. I would concentrate on one remedy at a time and stick with it awhile so you don’t stress the system. And when you exhaust one method of eradication go to the next. You can’t be sure a method isn’t working until you’ve stuck with it for awhile.

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dal-Reef IMO & IME changing things up in haste makes things worse. Stability promotes success for a system, and when the system isn’t stable nuisances just get a stronger hold. I would concentrate on one remedy at a time and stick with it awhile so you don’t stress the system. And when you exhaust one method of eradication go to the next. You can’t be sure a method isn’t working until you’ve stuck with it for awhile.
I agree with your comments. These changes were over the course of months. When I lost power the bacteria in the tank took a hit due the tank getting so cold. The biology of the tank is what is the most important and sometimes it takes awhile to come back in balance.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with your comments. These changes were over the course of months. When I lost power the bacteria in the tank took a hit due the tank getting so cold. The biology of the tank is what is the most important and sometimes it takes awhile to come back in balance.
That’s something I overlooked in the past, cold snap setting the bacteria back. It happened to me and my fish were still exhaling and peeing ammonia, all the while, which is what they do constantly. The bacteria could not keep up with ammonia consumption and the fish were breathing their own excrement.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back