OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Dal, long time no see ! I was reading another post in which you had replied ....and I was...hey! I remember that guy! lol
We both were starting around the same time (although your lightyears ahead of me) and was chattin with ya.

So jealous of your tank, I can't believe you got SPS going so good already. Wish I had your touch, everytime I touch one of those things, they brown out and die. Looks good man...

Still drudging along in IT ? Think this is the year I retire from it...burned out. Maybe then I can get some SPS going...lol

Start following along again..and that meat hunk of yours cracks me up...distracting as hell, but funny.

Ken
What's up brother.. Been awhile. I had been so busy with work and IT I manage a team that supports 126K endpoints and 300+ servers so been so busy with travel.... But... I am retiring in 3 weeks 2 days.. So blessed.

My tank is right around 14 months old. The big difference for me and SPS was a process called Reef Moonshiners. Its really amazing how it has done for my tank.. I have not done a water change in over 6 months. You basically dose elements off of what a monthly ICP test shows. You take the results plug it into a free tool and spits out what corrections need to be done. You also does 6 elements daily which take about 5 min today. Reef Moonshiners is by Andre Muller a German dude out of Houston that has some amazing tanks. You can get all of the elements from him which are pure and easy to use. If you are on FB search for Reef Moonshiners and join. Its a private group but mention my name Kevin Riley..
Here is a link to the free handbook
https://andremueller.e-junkie.com/product/1620933/Reef-Moonshiner26230393Bs-Handbook Read up on ask any questions you have.
Here a link to my YouTube channel were a current video of my tank

Last but not least I am BBQ comps cooker with over 300+ awards and 50+ product awards. Thats reasoning for the hunk of meat. www.crcbbq.com is were all of our products are at. :)

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up brother.. Been awhile. I had been so busy with work and IT I manage a team that supports 126K endpoints and 300+ servers so been so busy with travel.... But... I am retiring in 3 weeks 2 days.. So blessed.

My tank is right around 14 months old. The big difference for me and SPS was a process called Reef Moonshiners. Its really amazing how it has done for my tank.. I have not done a water change in over 6 months. You basically dose elements off of what a monthly ICP test shows. You take the results plug it into a free tool and spits out what corrections need to be done. You also does 6 elements daily which take about 5 min today. Reef Moonshiners is by Andre Muller a German dude out of Houston that has some amazing tanks. You can get all of the elements from him which are pure and easy to use. If you are on FB search for Reef Moonshiners and join. Its a private group but mention my name Kevin Riley..
Here is a link to the free handbook
https://andremueller.e-junkie.com/product/1620933/Reef-Moonshiner26230393Bs-Handbook Read up on ask any questions you have.
Here a link to my YouTube channel were a current video of my tank

Last but not least I am BBQ comps cooker with over 300+ awards and 50+ product awards. Thats reasoning for the hunk of meat. www.crcbbq.com is were all of our products are at. :)

3 weeks...nice ! Haven’t made up my mind yet when for me...maybe this quarter, next...idk tbh. I got such an easy gig now, not sure I want to just yet.

I had already started reading the moonshiners method when I read your post on it....was intrigued. A lotta positive comments on it in R2R. Sounds like a solid plan, may try it when I switch over to sps tank. Kinda bored with mine right now...everything’s stable, but need a new challenge. The LPS and softies just aren’t cutting it for me....just need to figure out my issue with sps and how to ’redesign’ my tank for them...too many lps and softies atm...here’s what I mean...

47FC46BB-F862-4AFD-87C3-877BEE6A4418.jpeg
...need to get rid of some of these softies, build up my rocks higher, new lights, more flow possibly...bunch of updates, but hey, that’s what makes this hobby fun.

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 weeks...nice ! Haven’t made up my mind yet when for me...maybe this quarter, next...idk tbh. I got such an easy gig now, not sure I want to just yet.

I had already started reading the moonshiners method when I read your post on it....was intrigued. A lotta positive comments on it in R2R. Sounds like a solid plan, may try it when I switch over to sps tank. Kinda bored with mine right now...everything’s stable, but need a new challenge. The LPS and softies just aren’t cutting it for me....just need to figure out my issue with sps and how to ’redesign’ my tank for them...too many lps and softies atm...here’s what I mean...

47FC46BB-F862-4AFD-87C3-877BEE6A4418.jpeg
...need to get rid of some of these softies, build up my rocks higher, new lights, more flow possibly...bunch of updates, but hey, that’s what makes this hobby fun.
Moonshine is for a mixed reef.. Trust me it will make a difference.. Got join the FB group and ask away.. What kind of lights are you running? Your tank looks great....

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the hydra 26’s and the AquaticLife hybrid. They’re probably fine, but would like to try the a360x Kessil’s. My problem is when I turn both on, I’m afraid of roasting all my LPS corals, as the par really jumps up. Not sure how to tackle this tbh. Plus redoing my aquascape is gonna be hard with all the fish I got.

Showing your PAR really helped as we got the same tank. Did you start immediately with SPS or was it a gradual switch ?

Join FB....aaaarghhh...been avoiding all of those dang media sites...last thing I want to do after working all day on a computer is get back on one...but yet here I am typing on one...hmmmm

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mixed. My softies, lps, and sps all benefit from the moonshiner method!
Hey danieyella, I don’t doubt it and I’ll probably end up going that route, but I got other things I want to update first before I take on another big change....sump for one. Want a refug and the RS sump is just too small, so looking at a Synergy ts26, which would be perfect for this moonshiner route, as it’s a triton style sump.
I run mixed. My softies, lps, and sps all benefit from the moonshiner method!

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the hydra 26’s and the AquaticLife hybrid. They’re probably fine, but would like to try the a360x Kessil’s. My problem is when I turn both on, I’m afraid of roasting all my LPS corals, as the par really jumps up. Not sure how to tackle this tbh. Plus redoing my aquascape is gonna be hard with all the fish I got.

Showing your PAR really helped as we got the same tank. Did you start immediately with SPS or was it a gradual switch ?

Join FB....aaaarghhh...been avoiding all of those dang media sites...last thing I want to do after working all day on a computer is get back on one...but yet here I am typing on one...hmmmm
I started mixed at the beginning but have been ramping up lights over months. Gb groups are great for our hobby lots of ideas exchanged..

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing how clear the tank is running right now. Took this pic early this morning. Check out the pics on the back wall. I am not running ozone. Running Clairsea and carbon..

137062611_10225372599852173_2657895903473802023_o.jpg

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That feeling when you get your 6 month deep clean of your sump equipment done. A lot of work but it done. Return pump, skimmer, Clairsea and heater all cleaned and checked for any issues. My OCD is better :p

20210112_170516.jpg
20210112_125912.jpg
20210112_164152.jpg
20210112_125908.jpg
20201001_113920.jpg
20210112_130911.jpg
20210112_131556.jpg

kamla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dal-Reef
you are progressing well :) every thing looks great :) congrats man...

so how is the soda lime + Co2 Scrubber working for you?
still buying soda lime from the same place?

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dal-Reef
you are progressing well :) every thing looks great :) congrats man...

so how is the soda lime + Co2 Scrubber working for you?
still buying soda lime from the same place?
The scrubber seems to working really good so far. I am having to change every 3 days since the house is closed cuz of winter. Buying the media is bulk saves you are a lot money

OP
OP
Dal-Reef

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
changing media every 3 days :oops:

that's going to end up costing a lot?

BTW ur Pics come out really nice :)
The cost is not as bad as it seems. I am buying the media in 5 gallon jugs I bet it weighs 40+lbs. I need bigger scrubber would help it last longer. Once we get to spring and summer it will not need to be changed as much.. Sad thing is going to have break down the tank towards the later part of the year or maybe sooner. I just retired last week only 56 so super young still. Wife is retiring in October. Bought acreage in south TX to build our new home. Before we do that will travel the country for a year or so. Once the house is built will put up a 300 gallon with fish room so excited about that part. Learned a lot on this build and what I want to do with the new one. All the coral and fish will got to a buddy that has a grow out frag tank. He will keep them for me and frag to sell pieces

kamla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cost is not as bad as it seems. I am buying the media in 5 gallon jugs I bet it weighs 40+lbs. I need bigger scrubber would help it last longer. Once we get to spring and summer it will not need to be changed as much.. Sad thing is going to have break down the tank towards the later part of the year or maybe sooner. I just retired last week only 56 so super young still. Wife is retiring in October. Bought acreage in south TX to build our new home. Before we do that will travel the country for a year or so. Once the house is built will put up a 300 gallon with fish room so excited about that part. Learned a lot on this build and what I want to do with the new one. All the coral and fish will got to a buddy that has a grow out frag tank. He will keep them for me and frag to sell pieces

sad to see ur tank go ..... :(

BUT good luck on ur new adventures.. make u post when u r ready with 300 Gal :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back