Reefer 250 overflow box leaks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Rostato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my Red Sea Reefer 250 had a leaky seal. I ordered the seal kit and went to work fixing it.

3lbuvMc.jpg

I uncovered a way worse issue though. Once all water is removed from the overflow it still slowly fills. Is assume the silicone on the bottom of the overflow has failed. I even noticed a bit of silicone that looked loose down there.

This made my idea to actually remove and clean all parts completely impossible. I fixed the leaky seal but I had to do it quickly because I was dripping water pretty fast. My guess is it’s probably leaking about 1 gallon per 2 hours.

So, if I lose power for an extended amount of time I’m screwed! My guess is I have maybe 10-12 hours max before the sump overflows.

Since all the pipes are now sealed it will drain the main display all the way down the the main drains level. I estimate that to be about 30% of the water volume since it’s about 4.5 inches from the main displays normal operating level.

What do I do? This sucks!

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of drain is it? (durso, bean)
I know with one of my non Red Sea tanks that had a leaky overflow box seal, the water only slowly seeped in until the display was even with the drain pipe height and my sump was able to handle it.

OP
OP
Rostato

Rostato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a reefer 250...

The main drain is down like 4.5 inches...that’s 30% of the tank volume. There’s no way my puny Red Sea sump can handle that.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a tear down and re seal of the overflow. Better safe than sorry. You might get a large plastic tub to hold the rock and fish until the repair is done and tested. Let the silicone set for at least 24 hours before refilling. In many cases silicone should cure longer than 24 hours.

OP
OP
Rostato

Rostato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. I’m waiting for a reply from Red Sea. Maybe they know something I don’t.

OP
OP
Rostato

Rostato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They said it wouldn’t be a problem and had me run a test to make sure.

Basically I turned off my return pump and put spare heaters in the display. I marked the em water level in my Sejm and let it sit for 3 hours. The water level never changed. So at some point there was an equilibrium

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back