OP
OP
Chee-tomorpha

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae overtaking the tank. I had to capture the two large tangs I had added in the P500 back into this tank as permanent residents. They are a Scopus and Powder Brown Tang. The PBT is doing a great job with the algae. The Scopus is still hesitant from the shock of getting forcibly relocated again. The Urchin has been busy and has done a great job resurfacing the rock work. However, it leaves all the long algae alone.

Here's current state with the algae. I hope in a couple more weeks things will be all cleaned up.

PXL_20221208_175524031.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae overtaking the tank. I had to capture the two large tangs I had added in the P500 back into this tank as permanent residents. They are a Scopus and Powder Brown Tang. The PBT is doing a great job with the algae. The Scopus is still hesitant from the shock of getting forcibly relocated again. The Urchin has been busy and has done a great job resurfacing the rock work. However, it leaves all the long algae alone.

Here's current state with the algae. I hope in a couple more weeks things will be all cleaned up.

PXL_20221208_175524031.jpg
Do you think the windows in close proximity to the tank are contributing to your algae issue?

OP
OP
Chee-tomorpha

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it has much impact. If the tank receives any light it's mostly indirect light and only when it is bright out. It's tucked into the cubby corner and only the front pane is viewable.

I think my problem is two things.

The tank has been a coral and inverts only tank for a few months. Because of that my nutrients dropped to undetectable. I've been trying to dose phosphate and nitrates since. I started getting growth around the same time.

There's no tangs to help keep the algae at bay since moved them all out. I tried hand picking them every day but that seemed to only spread them faster.

It's only been a couple days since moving the PBT and Scopus back. The PBT is doing a spectacular job at eating the algeo. It has already mowed down two good sized rock surfaces.

I am hoping they can stay in there as catching them would be impossible without damaging the coral or removing the scape. I read that these two get to at least 8" each so IDK if that's a good idea in a 50-ish gallon tank.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it has much impact. If the tank receives any light it's mostly indirect light and only when it is bright out. It's tucked into the cubby corner and only the front pane is viewable.

I think my problem is two things.

The tank has been a coral and inverts only tank for a few months. Because of that my nutrients dropped to undetectable. I've been trying to dose phosphate and nitrates since. I started getting growth around the same time.

There's no tangs to help keep the algae at bay since moved them all out. I tried hand picking them every day but that seemed to only spread them faster.

It's only been a couple days since moving the PBT and Scopus back. The PBT is doing a spectacular job at eating the algeo. It has already mowed down two good sized rock surfaces.

I am hoping they can stay in there as catching them would be impossible without damaging the coral or removing the scape. I read that these two get to at least 8" each so IDK if that's a good idea in a 50-ish gallon tank.
I would say no way those fish could remain in that size tank. I have the XL300 and even a small bristletooth tang did not do well in there at 4 inches.

OP
OP
Chee-tomorpha

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tangs are doing a great job at keeping new algae growth down. I pulled a ton of algae out since introducing the tangs and the tank is finally starting to look a lot better.

But I'm not sure about this snail's hair. Should I let it keep his beautiful locks? The only bit of hair algae is on this snail's shell and looks pretty funny on it. Will spread if I don't remove?

PXL_20221224_234318109.PORTRAIT.jpg

OP
OP
Chee-tomorpha

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Dragonett tank raised?

I'm not sure if she was or not but having a ton of isopods did the trick for mine. She's no longer boney thin and on the verge of death. She's out and about now and put on a lot of mass, and a huge gut. The tangs are snacking on the isopods as well so I hope the colony can sustain itself. I've got a ton of macro algae growing in the back ground hopefully it'll be a sanctuary for them.

PXL_20221225_152012073.jpg

PXL_20221225_152601782.jpg

PXL_20221225_152545837.jpg

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back