Reefer 350 FOWLR Stocking

mpagri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fully cycled and ready to go reefer 350 with no idea how to stock it. It was two mollies in it at the moment.

I have been doing nano reefs for a LONG time but they have only held nano fish.

My dream is to have the tank be captive bred only. I have my eye on the biota coral beautys and I know there are captive bred yellow tangs also. Is this tank too small for a yellow? Maybe a premium clownfish breed.

I'd like 4-5 bigger fish rather than a whole mess of small fish, open to lion fish, puffers, anything else. The tank is completely open top right now so no jumpers. I am open to closing the top, the evaporation is ridiculous. The tank is at my office so I want the fish to be hardy and as maintenance free as possible, though I am using a LFS to help with water changes etc.

I need help with stocking ideas and also the order in which to add them.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45F4F9FB-2FAD-4BD7-A955-623845058D80.jpeg

This is a larger fish (Banner Fish), H. Singularis. Really a showstopper for a FOWLR.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fully cycled and ready to go reefer 350 with no idea how to stock it. It was two mollies in it at the moment.

I have been doing nano reefs for a LONG time but they have only held nano fish.

My dream is to have the tank be captive bred only. I have my eye on the biota coral beautys and I know there are captive bred yellow tangs also. Is this tank too small for a yellow? Maybe a premium clownfish breed.

I'd like 4-5 bigger fish rather than a whole mess of small fish, open to lion fish, puffers, anything else. The tank is completely open top right now so no jumpers. I am open to closing the top, the evaporation is ridiculous. The tank is at my office so I want the fish to be hardy and as maintenance free as possible, though I am using a LFS to help with water changes etc.

I need help with stocking ideas and also the order in which to add them.

Regarding fish, get what you want and like, after doing research on compatibility. Sorry I'm not familiar with how many gallons are in Reefer 350 so unable to advise on yellow tang. If your searches haven't yet found this article, then you'll find it helpful:

Clownfish are not friendly with other clowns, despite name and look so use care.

I'd recommend an auto-top off (ATO) system. My 180g goes thru +10gallons evaporation weekly so I'd never be able to keep salinity stable each week without my ATO. I like pouring RO into a box weekly, then the ATO decides when a little water at a time needs to go over from RO box to sump, making up for evaporation.

OP
OP
M

mpagri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 71 gallons

Here is the short list of what I want:

Maroon clown
Flame angel
Wrasse type to he determined
Yellow Tang
Neon dottyback

Is that fully stocked? What else can be added to that list, what order should they be added

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back