Reefer 525 XL sump help PLEASE

XLReefer525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up my new 525 and I'm having a hard time figuring out the sump water levels. I have the most recent sump version as the system is new. Even though I'm not running a refugium, I put the removable refugium baffle / divider in to minimize the water noise trickling through the socks and cups. Then between the skimmer chamber and return chamber there is an adjustable baffle. The instructions say to have this only 1mm from the very top setting, which makes the water level in the skimmer chamber really high. But, if I lower the baffle all the way down, it doesn't change much in the skimmer section, and the refugium, skimmer section and return pump section are all about the same height no matter what I do with that baffle. Maybe I need to remove some water from the sump? I have the Red Sea 600 skimmer but have not installed yet. Even with the adjustable baffle all the way down, I don't see how I could ever use the skimmer without a stand to raise it, and I'm guessing Red Sea did not make a skimmer that wouldn't work in the sump they designed it for. I know I am doing something wrong but I don't know what it is. If you have this system and could chime in with how yours is set up, I would really appreciate. I'm running everything stock and did not make any plumbing modifications.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefer 750 so I am familiar with the reefer sumps. The water level should get progressively lower as you move from fuge to skimmer section to return pump chamber. The water level in the skimmer section should be set by the height of the adjustable baffle before the return pump section. If you lower the baffle and the water does not drop you need to drain some water out. Eventually the return pump section will be lower than the skimmer section.

OP
OP
XLReefer525

XLReefer525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefer 750 so I am familiar with the reefer sumps. The water level should get progressively lower as you move from fuge to skimmer section to return pump chamber. The water level in the skimmer section should be set by the height of the adjustable baffle before the return pump section. If you lower the baffle and the water does not drop you need to drain some water out. Eventually the return pump section will be lower than the skimmer section.
Thank you for your help! I will try this.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back