Reefer in Oahu

Falcon 6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I'll be moving to Hawaii in about a month and just picked up a used Red Sea Reefer 250 to take out there with me. I'm excited to document my successes and failures on this page. Things will likely progress slowly for the first few months as I wait for everything to ship and for us to find an apartment. For now I've detailed my current equipment list below that I will update as I get more pieces.

Tank: Red Sea Reefer 250 (54 gallons)
Sump: Stock Red Sea (11 gallons)
Controller: TBD (thinking GHL Profilux 4e Mega)
Lighting: GHL Mitras LX 7206
Power Head: TBD (thinking Redsea Reefwave)
ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155
Chiller: AquaEuro 1/10 HP

Anyone out there love/hate their Profilux or Reefwave? Those are the last of the big ticket items I have left and I would love to hear some opinions about them.

As far as stocking goes, I will probably keep this tank to lots of smaller, community type fishes with a focus on those with fun/weird behaviors. Since Hawaii doesn't allow the collection or keeping of any SPS or LPS I can probably keep some dwarf angels, but not sure about that now. Below are some of my planned inhabitants if I can get my hand on them! Great news is you can collect CUC, softies, and fish personally, so I will be trying my hand at that while diving! I imagine it is MUCH harder than it looks on youtube!

Purple Firefish
Green Mandarin
Goby and Shrimp pair of some sort
Flasher Wrasse of some sort
Sexy anemone shrimp
Linear Blenny
Tailspot Blenny
Mini-Maxi Anemones
Porcelain Crab
Barnacle Blennies
Pom Pom Crabs
Falco Hawkfish
Radial Filefish
Mimic Saddle Puffer
Coral Banded Shrimp
Red Skunk Cleaners
Porcelain Crab

Any comments on these choices? Some of your favorites I left out? It's important to me to have lots of busy inverts, I really love watching their behaviors. So, that rules out some fish I would love to have, like smaller varieties of triggers.

I'd love to hear any comments or advice anyone has!

FTS Bellevue.jpg Light and ATO in Box.jpg 2020-06-141.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations on the tank and the upcoming move! You may want to add a build thread banner (which doubles as a link to your thread) so people can find your thread more easily.

Here are the step-by-step instructions to add your build thread banner:

1. Copy your build thread URL
2. Click here to edit the link in your profile: https://www.reef2reef.com/account/account-details
3. Scroll down the page until you see "R2R Tank Thread Link" and paste your build thread link in box next to it and then select "save"
4. Your build thread banner will show up below your name in all of your posts!

OP
OP
Falcon 6

Falcon 6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on the tank and the upcoming move! You may want to add a build thread banner (which doubles as a link to your thread) so people can find your thread more easily.

Here are the step-by-step instructions to add your build thread banner:

1. Copy your build thread URL
2. Click here to edit the link in your profile: https://www.reef2reef.com/account/account-details
3. Scroll down the page until you see "R2R Tank Thread Link" and paste your build thread link in box next to it and then select "save"
4. Your build thread banner will show up below your name in all of your posts!
Thanks! I added it to my profile, looking forward to my shiny new badge!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back