REEFER MAX 300 G2+: Buy Max (with full system) or Just Tank (with Stand and Sump)?

mdeleon131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello community - Trying to determine if I take advantage of last day of cyber monday deal (complete system) or purchase better equipment for the Red Sea Reefer MAX 300 G2.

This is what is included with the Max option:

2x ReefLED 90​

2x RL90 Mounting Arm​

1x DC REEFER Skimmer 300​

2x ReefWave 25​

1x ReefRun 5500​

1x ReefRun Dual Controller​

1x ReefMat 500​

1x ReefATO+​

RS Reefer Max 300 G2.jpg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That depends on what you define as "better equipment" :) There's absolutely nothing wrong with any of the equipment above ; success does not solely depend on the equipment that you buy!

Also, much of this comes down to personal preference so if you ask if there's any lights that are better, 10 reefers may very well give you 10 different answers! :)

If you appreciate staying within the same eco system, then by all means pull the trigger if you're happy with the offer. None of this is bad equipment by any means.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a xl300 G2 and love it. I bought tank stand and sump not the full kit but I had some stuff already like skimmer and light. I have added a reefmat 500 and a reefdose 2. I have no experience with the redsea lights so I can't comment. I have two photon 32s from reefbreeders over mine .
I will say I really like the reefbeat app and it sure would be nice to have everything on one app. If that is important to you the max kit would be great. I currently have 9 seperate apps to run equipment on 3 tanks and it gets to be a pain at times.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are okay with those lights and wave makers then the package could make sense. I have a lot of that equipment: The RedSea ATO has worked without issue, Reefmat is excellent, and the protein skimmer works well but if I had to do it again I would get one that is ozone compatable. I don't use RedSea stuff for flow or lights. For return pump the Reefrun works fine but runs louder than what I like (slight hum so not dead silent like some of the other brands).

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three of the ReefLED 50's and I really like the Red Sea lights. Capable for sure, they look the part and they have a very easy to use app.

What livestock are you planning to care for in your tank? :relieved-face:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For return pump the Reefrun works fine but runs louder than what I like (slight hum so not dead silent like some of the other brands).
Ah didn't think about the return. I run a jebao dcp 5000 and I can not even hear the pump run. I also have a reefer 170 in our bedroom with a dcp 3500 and it is silent as well.

OP
OP
M

mdeleon131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three of the ReefLED 50's and I really like the Red Sea lights. Capable for sure, they look the part and they have a very easy to use app.

What livestock are you planning to care for in your tank? :relieved-face:
This will be going into my office for my personal viewing, not main house showcase. I'd like to aquascape something like an island (center of tank) and have a few fish swimming around with LPS and soft corals, if that's possible.

OP
OP
M

mdeleon131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a xl300 G2 and love it. I bought tank stand and sump not the full kit but I had some stuff already like skimmer and light. I have added a reefmat 500 and a reefdose 2. I have no experience with the redsea lights so I can't comment. I have two photon 32s from reefbreeders over mine .
I will say I really like the reefbeat app and it sure would be nice to have everything on one app. If that is important to you the max kit would be great. I currently have 9 seperate apps to run equipment on 3 tanks and it gets to be a pain at times.
Is the "XL" 300 the same as the 300 MAX G2?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20231030_194743.jpg
Is the "XL" 300 the same as the 300 MAX G2?
Not 100% but I think the max means all the equipment. I just looked and the dimensions are the same. I'm not really sure what the XL stands for because the tank is nice but not extra large lol. This is mine that I set up on February
20231124_123739.jpg
20231030_194743.jpg

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello community - Trying to determine if I take advantage of last day of cyber monday deal (complete system) or purchase better equipment for the Red Sea Reefer MAX 300 G2.

2x ReefLED 90​

2x RL90 Mounting Arm​

2x ReefWave 25​

1x ReefRun 5500​

1x ReefMat 500​

1x ReefATO+​

RS Reefer Max 300 G2.jpg
I'm in the same boat right now. I'm seriously thinking of ordering everything EXCEPT the lights and going with a GHL Mitras instead.

What did you decide to do?

bvickery1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat right now. I'm seriously thinking of ordering everything EXCEPT the lights and going with a GHL Mitras instead.

What did you decide to do?

One thing to do is price without lights and their bundle. Think the bundle is always 8% -12% and you can then just sell off the lights. You get about $200 discount for the system, then can probably sell each light w/ arm for 300-350 ea. (389 ea just for light, $75 per arm). So figure 600-800 there.

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2x ReefLED 90​

2x RL90 Mounting Arm​

2x ReefWave 25​

1x ReefRun 5500​

1x ReefMat 500​

1x ReefATO+​

RS Reefer Max 300 G2.jpg
I have a Red Sea reefer 200 max and I love all the equipment if I had to do it over again I would’ve just bought a bigger one hahaha. Like everyone else has mentioned everyone has preferences on equipment I love the fact you can control everything in the same app. All the equipment is very nice and high quality no issues so far! Can’t beat the price either!

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to do is price without lights and their bundle. Think the bundle is always 8% -12% and you can then just sell off the lights. You get about $200 discount for the system, then can probably sell each light w/ arm for 300-350 ea. (389 ea just for light, $75 per arm). So figure 600-800 there.
I just did a cost comparison and the difference with ReefLED vs GHL Mitras is just a few dollars.
It's literally $29 difference so I will absolutely be going GHL Mitras over my new system.

Sorry to @mdeleon131 for the HiJack of your thread :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back