Reefer or custom?

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right guys I need your help.

I thought I was sold on a custom, but I keep looking at the reefers and worry that I’ll regret not getting a reefer if the custom tank isn’t built to the same quality.

What are your thoughts? Reefer or custom?

Things going through my head now are:

Custom pros
1. Match the existing oak furniture
2. Pelmet to hide a tank cover to avoid fish jumping out and kids throwing stuff in
3. Made to measure and cheaper (about £1k cheaper!)

Custom cons:
1. Tank build quality might not be as good

Reefer pros
1. Look awesome and great build quality (enough said)

Reefer cons
1. The width will make access to the sump challenging due existing furniture and size of cabinet doors (sofa near to tank) - this is the biggest challenge for me
2. Not a steel frame, so I worry about longevity and I’ve seen people have issues with damaged cabinets when they receive their reefer
3. I’d have to get a huge cover, which I don’t particularly like the look of

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the number of people posting around the nets of leaking Red Sea Reefers less than 5 years old, not sure exactly how good of quality they really are in the long run. There are cheapy glass plastic rimmed aquariums you buy at big box stores that last 10+ years without issue. There is no doubt that RSR look nice and have a clean look but the "quality" thing isn't a 100% sure bet over a custom. Also depends on the custom tank manufacturer. Most of the packaged tanks these days are probably all made in the same few factories in China RSR included.

OP
OP
Viner87

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the number of people posting around the nets of leaking Red Sea Reefers less than 5 years old, not sure exactly how good of quality they really are in the long run. There are cheapy glass plastic rimmed aquariums you buy at big box stores that last 10+ years without issue. There is no doubt that RSR look nice and have a clean look but the "quality" thing isn't a 100% sure bet over a custom. Also depends on the custom tank manufacturer. Most of the packaged tanks these days are probably all made in the same few factories in China RSR included.

Interesting - thanks for that! [emoji1303]

Back