Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seawitch submitted a new Article:

Reefer to 3D Maker and Back Again

This article is sponsored by @Vivid Creative Aquatics

There have been a lot of changes in the reefing hobby in just the past few years including innovations in equipment such as controllable DC pumps, LED lighting, plus computers that automate and run our tanks. Even our approach and understanding of how to create a successful reef tank has changed to some extent. But the one thing that remains constant is our desire, as reefing enthusiasts, to create something unique – something we can call our own. This is where 3D printing and reefing intersect.

3D printing, in the hands of a DIYer, can be a powerful tool that allows the creation of just about anything. And right now, 3D printing is making a huge impact in the reefing community.

But first let’s take a look at what exactly is 3D printing. In its most basic form, 3D printing is the process by which a physical object can be made from a three-dimensional digital model.

There are many different types of 3D printing from FFF/FDM (Fused Layer Deposition) to SLA (Stereolithography), even SLS (Selective Laser Sintering) to name a few. The most common and least expensive type of 3D printer is the FFF/FDM printer, which is where most hobbyists get their start.

An FFF/FDM 3D printer uses plastic filament which is heated to its melting point and then extruded, layer by layer, to create the three-dimensional object. There are many types of plastics that can be used. For 3D printed parts for use in and around a reef tank, they will generally be printed with PLA, PETG and ABS plastic, depending on the intended end use of the part.

An FFF/FDM 3D printer printing a Random Flow Generator™ Nozzle in PETG, layer by layer

OK, so now that you know what 3D printing is and how it works, how is it being used in the Reefing hobby? The answer is just about everywhere! You'll find 3D printing being used at every level from early prototyping of products by well-known manufacturers, to the hobbyist designing and printing parts to fill a specific need for their own tank. Lately, one of the most visible ways 3D printing is being used is in the area of Additive Manufacturing.

Additive Manufacturing, or AM, is where 3D printing is used to mass-produce parts that might have traditionally been created via injection molding. AM methods are also very effective where the part to be manufactured has a shape or design that makes it difficult or even impossible to manufactured using more traditional methods, such as the Random Flow Generator™ Nozzle. Additive Manufacturing techniques are very effective for short-run products but can also be scaled to produce larger quantities.

The Vivid Creative Aquatics 3D Print Facility can produce up to 380 print-hours per day.

There are a number of examples of this happening right now in the reefing community. In addition to the products that Vivid Creative Aquatics manufactures, there are other examples such as 3DReefing’s Light diffusers, and Printed Reefing Solutions array of useful brackets, holders and organizational tools.

3D printing in the Reefing hobby is not new. In fact, it has been used in this hobby for years. Just a quick search on ReefBuilders using the term “3D Print” reveals a plethora of articles and stories. These include articles about individuals and companies using 3D printing in the reefing community for at least 4 years. What is new is the wave of products being created by both individuals and companies alike.

Here’s a list of just a few of the more recent and notable 3D printed products you’ll find being offered:

Printed Reefing Solutions frag transport
r2rfrag-transport.jpg

TT Gadgets 3D Printed Bristleworm Trap
r2rvca2.png

Random Flow Generator™ Nozzle by Vivid Creative Aquatics
r2rvca3.jpeg

PMUP Stand by Harry Singer
r2rvca4.jpeg

3DReefing’s light-manufacturer specific diffusers
r2rvca5.jpeg

Paul Burns’ NemProtect Vortech Pump covers
r2rvca6.jpeg

This is by no means a complete list because new products and examples of 3D printing for the reef tank are popping up all the time. With all this activity in the Additive Manufacturing front, the reefing industry has taken notice as well. Many of the most respected online retailers have begun to embrace products produced through Additive Manufacturing. For example, you’ll find the Random Flow Generator™ Nozzle, the NemProtect, and a whole host of other 3D printed products on sites like SaltwaterAquarium.com, Bulkreefsupply.com and MarineDepot.com

But it doesn't stop there.

3D printing is also making inroads into reef restoration and conservation. These include large-scale 3D printed ceramic and concrete structures. One example is Reef Design Lab’s 3D printed interlocking modules. These have been deployed in the Summer Islands in the Maldives under the MARS (Modular Artificial Reef Structure) project by Alex Goad.

Artificial Reef Structure) project by Alex Goad.

Another example is the artificial reef and restore project by Seaboost (Egis Group) and XtreeE

3D printed reef structures are pretty neat, and have a real potential to help turn the tide in the battle against declining reef habitat round the world. 3D printed reefscape may not just be for the ocean, however. Deven Rich of ReefDudes explored the possibilities of designing and 3D printing rock work in this awesome video.

Deven Rich exploring how fun it can be to design your own rock work in Virtual reality.

He shows that designing your own structures and printing your own rock might be possible and could even be fun. There are many Reefing hobbyists turning their love for reefing and their passion for 3D printing into a thriving community of Reefers/Makers. Take a quick read right here on Reef2Reef where there are a number of threads dealing with 3D printing. A quick search will reveal hundreds of threads.

3D printing is clearly having a big impact on the Reefing hobby and even on the industry itself. The advent of the affordable Desktop 3D printer has made it possible for just about anyone with the skills and patience to design to 3D Print to create useful equipment and accessories right at home. Additive Manufacturing has made it easier than ever to bring a unique product to market that may not have been possible or even viable before.

Here at Vivid Creative Aquatics, as an Additive Manufacturer and Reefing hobbyist, I am continually impressed with the array of ideas and products being created by the Reefing/Maker community and can’t wait to see what comes next.

Antonio Gutierrez
Vivid Creative Aquatics

~~~~~~~~~~~

We encourage all our readers to join the Reef2Reef forum. It’s easy to register, free, and reefkeeping is much easier and more fun in a community of fellow aquarists. We pride ourselves on a warm and family-friendly forum where everyone is welcome. You will also find lots of contests and giveaways with our sponsors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author Profile: Antonio Gutierrez of @Vivid Creative Aquatics

My name is Antonio Gutierrez, and I own Vivid Creative Aquatics (VCA). VCA runs and maintains a manufacturing facility with over 20 3D printers. We manufacture our family of Random Flow Generator™ Nozzles and adapters but also do short-run parts and design for our customers.

Eight years ago, my daughter gave me an empty 50-gallon tank that housed her son’s pet lizard. I turned it into my first saltwater system. I was instantly hooked and never looked back. In 2015, I became increasingly interested in 3D printing allowing me to find a way to combine my two hobbies and merge them into a single endeavor. Currently I keep my 5-year-old, 125 gallon mixed reef with a 20-gallon display refugium filled with 3D printed parts and accessories.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Seawitch submitted a new Article:

Reefer to 3D Maker and Back Again

This article is sponsored by @Vivid Creative Aquatics

There have been a lot of changes in the reefing hobby in just the past few years including innovations in equipment such as controllable DC pumps, LED lighting, plus computers that automate and run our tanks. Even our approach and understanding of how to create a successful reef tank has changed to some extent. But the one thing that remains constant is our desire, as reefing enthusiasts, to create something unique – something we can call our own. This is where 3D printing and reefing intersect.

3D printing, in the hands of a DIYer, can be a powerful tool that allows the creation of just about anything. And right now, 3D printing is making a huge impact in the reefing community.

But first let’s take a look at what exactly is 3D printing. In its most basic form, 3D printing is the process by which a physical object can be made from a three-dimensional digital model.

There are many different types of 3D printing from FFF/FDM (Fused Layer Deposition) to SLA (Stereolithography), even SLS (Selective Laser Sintering) to name a few. The most common and least expensive type of 3D printer is the FFF/FDM printer, which is where most hobbyists get their start.

An FFF/FDM 3D printer uses plastic filament which is heated to its melting point and then extruded, layer by layer, to create the three-dimensional object. There are many types of plastics that can be used. For 3D printed parts for use in and around a reef tank, they will generally be printed with PLA, PETG and ABS plastic, depending on the intended end use of the part.

An FFF/FDM 3D printer printing a Random Flow Generator™ Nozzle in PETG, layer by layer

OK, so now that you know what 3D printing is and how it works, how is it being used in the Reefing hobby? The answer is just about everywhere! You'll find 3D printing being used at every level from early prototyping of products by well-known manufacturers, to the hobbyist designing and printing parts to fill a specific need for their own tank. Lately, one of the most visible ways 3D printing is being used is in the area of Additive Manufacturing.

Additive Manufacturing, or AM, is where 3D printing is used to mass-produce parts that might have traditionally been created via injection molding. AM methods are also very effective where the part to be manufactured has a shape or design that makes it difficult or even impossible to manufactured using more traditional methods, such as the Random Flow Generator™ Nozzle. Additive Manufacturing techniques are very effective for short-run products but can also be scaled to produce larger quantities.

The Vivid Creative Aquatics 3D Print Facility can produce up to 380 print-hours per day.

There are a number of examples of this happening right now in the reefing community. In addition to the products that Vivid Creative Aquatics manufactures, there are other examples such as 3DReefing’s Light diffusers, and Printed Reefing Solutions array of useful brackets, holders and organizational tools.

3D printing in the Reefing hobby is not new. In fact, it has been used in this hobby for years. Just a quick search on ReefBuilders using the term “3D Print” reveals a plethora of articles and stories. These include articles about individuals and companies using 3D printing in the reefing community for at least 4 years. What is new is the wave of products being created by both individuals and companies alike.

Here’s a list of just a few of the more recent and notable 3D printed products you’ll find being offered:

Printed Reefing Solutions frag transport
r2rfrag-transport.jpg

TT Gadgets 3D Printed Bristleworm Trap
r2rvca2.png

Random Flow Generator™ Nozzle by Vivid Creative Aquatics
r2rvca3.jpeg

PUPM Stand by Harry Singer
r2rvca4.jpeg

3DReefing’s light-manufacturer specific diffusers
r2rvca5.jpeg

Paul Burns’ NemProtect Vortech Pump covers
r2rvca6.jpeg

This is by no means a complete list because new products and examples of 3D printing for the reef tank are popping up all the time. With all this activity in the Additive Manufacturing front, the reefing industry has taken notice as well. Many of the most respected online retailers have begun to embrace products produced through Additive Manufacturing. For example, you’ll find the Random Flow Generator™ Nozzle, the NemProtect, and a whole host of other 3D printed products on sites like SaltwaterAquarium.com, Bulkreefsupply.com and MarineDepot.com

But it doesn't stop there.

3D printing is also making inroads into reef restoration and conservation. These include large-scale 3D printed ceramic and concrete structures. One example is Reef Design Lab’s 3D printed interlocking modules. These have been deployed in the Summer Islands in the Maldives under the MARS (Modular Artificial Reef Structure) project by Alex Goad.

Artificial Reef Structure) project by Alex Goad.

Another example is the artificial reef and restore project by Seaboost (Egis Group) and XtreeE

3D printed reef structures are pretty neat, and have a real potential to help turn the tide in the battle against declining reef habitat round the world. 3D printed reefscape may not just be for the ocean, however. Deven Rich of ReefDudes explored the possibilities of designing and 3D printing rock work in this awesome video.

Deven Rich exploring how fun it can be to design your own rock work in Virtual reality.

He shows that designing your own structures and printing your own rock might be possible and could even be fun. There are many Reefing hobbyists turning their love for reefing and their passion for 3D printing into a thriving community of Reefers/Makers. Take a quick read right here on Reef2Reef where there are a number of threads dealing with 3D printing. A quick search will reveal hundreds of threads.

3D printing is clearly having a big impact on the Reefing hobby and even on the industry itself. The advent of the affordable Desktop 3D printer has made it possible for just about anyone with the skills and patience to design to 3D Print to create useful equipment and accessories right at home. Additive Manufacturing has made it easier than ever to bring a unique product to market that may not have been possible or even viable before.

Here at Vivid Creative Aquatics, as an Additive Manufacturer and Reefing hobbyist, I am continually impressed with the array of ideas and products being created by the Reefing/Maker community and can’t wait to see what comes next.

Antonio Gutierrez
Vivid Creative Aquatics

~~~~~~~~~~~

We encourage all our readers to join the Reef2Reef forum. It’s easy to register, free, and reefkeeping is much easier and more fun in a community of fellow aquarists. We pride ourselves on a warm and family-friendly forum where everyone is welcome. You will also find lots of contests and giveaways with our sponsors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author Profile: Antonio Gutierrez of @Vivid Creative Aquatics

My name is Antonio Gutierrez, and I own Vivid Creative Aquatics (VCA). VCA runs and maintains a manufacturing facility with over 20 3D printers. We manufacture our family of Random Flow Generator™ Nozzles and adapters but also do short-run parts and design for our customers.

Eight years ago, my daughter gave me an empty 50-gallon tank that housed her son’s pet lizard. I turned it into my first saltwater system. I was instantly hooked and never looked back. In 2015, I became increasingly interested in 3D printing allowing me to find a way to combine my two hobbies and merge them into a single endeavor. Currently I keep my 5-year-old, 125 gallon mixed reef with a 20-gallon display refugium filled with 3D printed parts and accessories.

God bless man, came a very long way!

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
God bless man, came a very long way!
Thanks @Sabellafella, you have always been a big supporter and I appreciate that. Things have come a long way in the last year and half, and not just for VCA. That's way I wrote this article - there are so many really cool ideas and products being created by fellow hobbyists with their 3D printers and I wanted to highlight some of them.

I think 3D printing and Additive Manufacturing in particular, has a bigger roll to play going forward, and not just in the reefing space. Its already making impacts in other consumer good, Heck - even Customer/short-run razor handles - LOL
https://razor-maker.com/

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you note it in the article and I missed it (skim reading is a personal bad habit), but the ability to recreate/print parts for equipment that is long out of production is something that intrigues me. Maybe only relevant for the long timers, but I’ve discarded stuff in the past because a small plastic part broke and couldn’t be replaced.

Read a case study a while back about an elevator manufacturer that has installations in some old hotels that are over 100 years old. Imagine the spare parts challenge. OK, probably nobody would want key structural components to be AM, but loads of cosmetic parts that would be candidates.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you note it in the article and I missed it (skim reading is a personal bad habit), but the ability to recreate/print parts for equipment that is long out of production is something that intrigues me. Maybe only relevant for the long timers, but I’ve discarded stuff in the past because a small plastic part broke and couldn’t be replaced.

Read a case study a while back about an elevator manufacturer that has installations in some old hotels that are over 100 years old. Imagine the spare parts challenge. OK, probably nobody would want key structural components to be AM, but loads of cosmetic parts that would be candidates.

I didn't mention it in this article, and but you're right. 3D printing/AM is increasingly being used to create spare parts for outdated systems. It's really gaining speed in the aftermarket automotive industry, It's great for creating parts for cars that are no longer being made or just creating custom parts that would never go into mass production.

Here's a another quick read on that subject
https://www.matterhackers.com/news/3d-printed-custom-car-parts

Its also a really effective way of making the spare/replacement parts you need when you need it. We see more and more of this on ships for example
https://www.tctmagazine.com/3d-prin...l-3d-printing-spare-parts-ip-rights-maritime/

instead of caring a full compliment of all the possible parts they may need, they just use 3Dprinters to make the parts

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, buddy of mine has a Jensen Interceptor (a car 99.9% of people will never have heard of) and he thinks that AM will allow him to eventually get the thing on the road. It’s been under a tarp for as long as I’ve know him (which is a long while :D). Anyhow, a very cool technology.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to meet Antonio yesterday at a local reef meeting. I have to admit that his company and products weren't on my radar... although in his defense, new products don't excite me like they would others.
After talking with him, I was intrigued by the science behind the random flow generators. And having recently purchasing a 3D printer myself, I completely understand the need to print these on a 3D printer.

At the moment I have only scratched the surface of the printer, and already i find myself being drawn into this other hobby, I just purchased Solidworks CAD so that I can start creating my own designed prints. I can already tell that I'm going to have to set limits to how out of control I can get in this new venture...

Thanks for sharing Antonio, and I hope to see you at the next meeting in which I'm hosting at my house....
Jimmy

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to meet Antonio yesterday at a local reef meeting. I have to admit that his company and products weren't on my radar... although in his defense, new products don't excite me like they would others.
After talking with him, I was intrigued by the science behind the random flow generators. And having recently purchasing a 3D printer myself, I completely understand the need to print these on a 3D printer.

At the moment I have only scratched the surface of the printer, and already i find myself being drawn into this other hobby, I just purchased Solidworks CAD so that I can start creating my own designed prints. I can already tell that I'm going to have to set limits to how out of control I can get in this new venture...

Thanks for sharing Antonio, and I hope to see you at the next meeting in which I'm hosting at my house....
Jimmy
I t was great t meet you too this past weekend - I'll be there for the next meeting at your place. Be sure to send me the info on your loc-line so we can make sure we get the right RFGs on there.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its also a really effective way of making the spare/replacement parts you need when you need it. We see more and more of this on ships for example
My son and I just assembled a 3D printer Saturday, I have tried model planes, RC cars, rockets, metal detectors and all the cool things that I wish growing up I had to get pique his interests away from computes and games. Well this has him GOING and wanting to dive deeper.... If you cant beat em join em:confused: BTW the above post about replacement parts on a ship, I read NASA is betting on 3D in space for just that and for Construction in Space.

U

User1

View Badges
3D printing is also helping with design and testing fabrication of aircraft and also cars. In fact Ford used extensive 3d printing in the development of the GT500 Mustang due out later this year. They would take a few printers to the track, do some tests, come to analyze the data, print, install, and run more laps. Spoiler on the rear deck lid, under body vents, side skirts, among other things. I think Boeing was printing tubing and other hydraulic lines.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came across a brief article that sites the results of a recent survey that suggests that Additive Manufacturing is poised to, "dramatically change the manufacturing industry"

The Article list s a few of the key findings including findings that show that 3D printing IS being used for both short-run and mass-produced products by a rate of 45% and 21% respectively of respondents surveyed.

You can read this short article here:
https://3dprinting.com/.../survey-indicates-3d-printing.../

And view the actual survey results here:
https://essentium3d.com/blogs/press-materials/white-paper-3d-printing-at-scale

That results of the survey seems pretty significant, considering those numbers would have been much, much lower just 2 years ago.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just placed an order for my Synergy sump and my Apex ATK ATO module along with the Pmup, so I thought I would give a shot since my Synergy ATO container is 10 gallon container. This should work perfect in my Synergy ATO B/C Ones it hits the low sensor my Apex will turn on my ATO on and fill up my 10 gallon Synergy ATO container and then ones it hits the high sensor will turn off my RODI.
s-l1600.jpg

53220405_10219167686251704_7829756231358087168_n.jpg

Last edited:

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Antonio for the shout out. 3D printing goes very well in the reefing hobby as most of us in it are tinkerers at heart. It has definitely opened the door for us little guys to do something bigger that was thought near impossible only a few years ago. And this is just the beginning.

Moe Kayed
3DReefing

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Antonio for the shout out. 3D printing goes very well in the reefing hobby as most of us in it are tinkerers at heart. It has definitely opened the door for us little guys to do something bigger that was thought near impossible only a few years ago. And this is just the beginning.

Moe Kayed
3DReefing

You're welcome. You have a great product. 3D printing and Additive manufacturing in general really is having huge impact right now in the reefing hobby as it is in just about every other industry. And you're right, it does allow entry onto the marketplace in a way that just wasn't possible before.

U

User1

View Badges
I didn't mention it in this article, and but you're right. 3D printing/AM is increasingly being used to create spare parts for outdated systems. It's really gaining speed in the aftermarket automotive industry, It's great for creating parts for cars that are no longer being made or just creating custom parts that would never go into mass production.

Here's a another quick read on that subject
https://www.matterhackers.com/news/3d-printed-custom-car-parts

https://www.tctmagazine.com/3d-prin...l-3d-printing-spare-parts-ip-rights-maritime/

instead of caring a full compliment of all the possible parts they may need, they just use 3Dprinters to make the parts

Both older and new parts especially growing in the car market. Ford took a bunch of 3d printers with them when they track tested the new GT500 Mustang. They would do some laps, review the telemetry, print a part, attach or install it, and send the car back out on the track. Mostly aerodynamic features but it allowed them to test their proposed design changes in real time outside the simulators.

Nerdy and stupidly fun I have to say. Best of both worlds with engineering and driving a car around a track while testing new stuff just made.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both older and new parts especially growing in the car market. Ford took a bunch of 3d printers with them when they track tested the new GT500 Mustang. They would do some laps, review the telemetry, print a part, attach or install it, and send the car back out on the track. Mostly aerodynamic features but it allowed them to test their proposed design changes in real time outside the simulators.

Nerdy and stupidly fun I have to say. Best of both worlds with engineering and driving a car around a track while testing new stuff just made.

That's pretty cool - i wonder what 3D printer(s) they where using. i would have to assume they were pretty quick-printing machines.

U

User1

View Badges
That's pretty cool - i wonder what 3D printer(s) they where using. i would have to assume they were pretty quick-printing machines.

They did not go into detail on that front other than to say why they did it and that it helped reduce overall cost. It was pretty neat actually.

I was trying to wrap my head around the possible scale of the printers and speed. I can see the front end canards possibly but they also mentioned trim on the rear spoiler, the whole spoiler, and various undercarriage duct work for cooling.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back