ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep seeing references to the
Reefers Moonshine Method.

I think.... I know what it is but want to hear everyone's input on this word-of-mouth movement. Another rendering fad??

Explain to everyone what it is like we're brand new to it

Last edited:

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good thread on it right here.

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I keep seeing references to the
Reefers Moonshine Method.

I think.... I know what it is but want to hear everyone's input on this word-of-mouth movement. Another rendering fad??

Explain to everyone what it is like we're brand new to it

He has a website that probably explains it. I don't know the details but he has been doing this a pretty long time, i have read some of his write ups, specifically about nutrients (coral colorization part 1) and thought it was pretty helpful. but i haven't dived into his system other than managing nutrients.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where as other trace element dosing methods lump several or all of the elements together, the Reef Moonshiners method takes an individual, targeted approach for the dosing of each trace element utilizing ICP testing and a dosing calculator.

For example, the Red Sea Trace Colors ABCD system has four different supplements in which the minor and trace elements are grouped together. The Trace A supplement has Iodine, Bromine and Flourine. Trace B has Potassium and Boron. Trace C has Iron and other elements. Trace D has a blend of 18 other trace elements.

While these methods can and do work just fine, I like the fact that the moonshiners method targets each element individually. With other methods, by lumping several elements together you can be overdosing one element while under-dosing another.

Andre has developed this method over years and has made his own DIY elements which you can purchase from him for dosing in your tank. (Some of the elements he recommends are already widely available products like Seachem's Iodide or Brightwell's Potassion-P.) He's also developed a calculator which you use with your ICP test results to determine how much of each individual trace element you need to dose. Some elements need to be dosed in small amounts daily, while others only require monthly correction doses. Each month you'll need to do another ICP test to see how the levels are responding to your dosing and adjust accordingly. Long-term users typically dial back the monthly testing once they get a feel for their tank's consumption rates.

While for the most part the method targets natural sea water levels for each element, Andre has tested elevated levels for various elements to try and determine what produces the best growth and coloration for corals. His manual goes into pretty good detail of some of the results he's experienced (both good and bad) by elevating different elements during his experiments.

Overall, I really like this method as it just makes sense to me. If we are already trying to target specific levels of alkalinity, calcium and magnesium (the major elements) in our tanks, why wouldn't we try and do the same with minor and trace elements, especially if doing so results in better growth and coloration. And again, I like the fact that it targets each element individually as every tank is going to consume these elements at different rates.

You can download his manual and the dosing calculator for free off of his website. I recommend at least giving it a read and seeing if the method is something you'd like to try. It can be expensive up front to buy all of the elements, but most tanks are not going to need all of the elements (at least at first), so you can split up the cost over time when you first get started.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where as other trace element dosing methods lump several or all of the elements together, the Reef Moonshiners method takes an individual, targeted approach for the dosing of each trace element utilizing ICP testing and a dosing calculator.

For example, the Red Sea Trace Colors ABCD system has four different supplements in which the minor and trace elements are grouped together. The Trace A supplement has Iodine, Bromine and Flourine. Trace B has Potassium and Boron. Trace C has Iron and other elements. Trace D has a blend of 18 other trace elements.

While these methods can and do work just fine, I like the fact that the moonshiners method targets each element individually. With other methods, by lumping several elements together you can be overdosing one element while under-dosing another.

Andre has developed this method over years and has made his own DIY elements which you can purchase from him for dosing in your tank. (Some of the elements he recommends are already widely available products like Seachem's Iodide or Brightwell's Potassion-P.) He's also developed a calculator which you use with your ICP test results to determine how much of each individual trace element you need to dose. Some elements need to be dosed in small amounts daily, while others only require monthly correction doses. Each month you'll need to do another ICP test to see how the levels are responding to your dosing and adjust accordingly. Long-term users typically dial back the monthly testing once they get a feel for their tank's consumption rates.

While for the most part the method targets natural sea water levels for each element, Andre has tested elevated levels for various elements to try and determine what produces the best growth and coloration for corals. His manual goes into pretty good detail of some of the results he's experienced (both good and bad) by elevating different elements during his experiments.

Overall, I really like this method as it just makes sense to me. If we are already trying to target specific levels of alkalinity, calcium and magnesium (the major elements) in our tanks, why wouldn't we try and do the same with minor and trace elements, especially if doing so results in better growth and coloration. And again, I like the fact that it targets each element individually as every tank is going to consume these elements at different rates.

You can download his manual and the dosing calculator for free off of his website. I recommend at least giving it a read and seeing if the method is something you'd like to try. It can be expensive up front to buy all of the elements, but most tanks are not going to need all of the elements (at least at first), so you can split up the cost over time when you first get started.
Why in the world would you go dosing trace elements that are sometimes in the Parts-Per-BILLION range

Do you dose one droplet of Fluoride per 100 gallons?

Why not TWO droplets in our human mind that say MORE-IS-BETTER! MORE-IS-BETTER!

Sounds like you're playing with a chemistry set a lil toooo much

Bill Nye Fire GIF by NETFLIX

Last edited:

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modified version - no water changes, dose alk , cal and mg. Once a week I add Kent marine essential elements/trace elements that I don’t measure.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why in the world would you go dosing trace elements that are sometimes in the Parts-Per-BILLION range

Haha! Well, part of the enjoyment of the reefing hobby for me is nerding out on the chemistry. I don't see this approach as that different from dosing the major elements to maintain as much stability as possible. On smaller tanks, you may be dosing 1mL a day of soda ash to maintain your alkalinity.

While yes some elements are in the ppb range, they can still have an effect on your tank depending on their fluctuations or depletion. Iodine is a perfect example. It's very common to have it completely depleted in a reef tank, but dosing large amounts infrequently can lead to over-dosing or unstable levels. So it just makes more sense to me to dose very small amounts daily to keep it at the optimum level in your tank (much like alkalinity).

Overall, I just see this method as another progression in the hobby. Sure it's not necessary to be successful, but so are a lot of the things we do to our tanks. I see it as a way to experiment and learn more about how the fluctuations of these minor and trace elements affect different corals' growth and coloration.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modified version - no water changes, dose alk , cal and mg. Once a week I add Kent marine essential elements/trace elements that I don’t measure.
I do the same thing but i use the balling method for trace and the part C salt to balance.

Im going to be switching to the RM method shortly as i just moved tanks and this AIO is so much easier to manage day to day.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why not TWO droplets in our human mind that say MORE-IS-BETTER! MORE-IS-BETTER!

Its based on ICP so its not like youre trying to test iodine or vanadium with a salifert kit.....
They give you a recommendation after the results and his recommendations are a bit different but the concensus speaks for itself.

I actually have never heard anyone unhappy after going with Reef Moonshiners......

Just a bunch of ****** looking tanks and reefers that back it up on the forums :)

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its based on ICP so its not like youre trying to test iodine or vanadium with a salifert kit.....
They give you a recommendation after the results and his recommendations are a bit different but the concensus speaks for itself.

I actually have never heard anyone unhappy after going with Reef Moonshiners......

Just a bunch of ****** looking tanks and reefers that back it up on the forums :)
So what? Budget $600/yr in ICP tests?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same thing but i use the balling method for trace and the part C salt to balance.

Im going to be switching to the RM method shortly as i just moved tanks and this AIO is so much easier to manage day to day.
The reason I use Kent marine is the cheapest Ive found so far lol, I’d use all for reef if it wasn’t so expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 80 47.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back