Stability = Success

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your plan!

Lets discuss stabilty and its importance in the hobby.
For me it has always been #1.

I read many threads where people ask questions about parameter issues on a daily basis.

Reefers looking for success need a plan to keep all parameters in their established range.

You need a range for all paramters before water hits the tank for success!

Alk as an example:
Your set target alk value is 8dkh.
Range could be 7.5-8.5 lets say.
What is your plan if the range exceeds these values.
Without ranges success becomes diffiucult, imo.

This is "not" a thread about what parameters you keep your tank at as many will work.

Im curious as to why so many people setup tanks in this hobby without any type of a plan, especially new reefers. New reefers would be much more successful if they had a plan.

For new reefers it should be your #1 priority. By establishing ranges
you will need to look at each paramter and understand what they are doing in said system.

This one approach, imo, is the key to success in any system.

I think its alot like a life plan, since im now retired, without a plan you may not end up where you want to be come retirement. Same applies to a reef tank setup.
Anyway thats my analogy.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree completely. All you need to do to be successful is maintain water parameters within certain parameters but without chasing numbers

Thats it

Think of yourself as a ‘water keeper’

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty simple for me. Typically test my params once a week. Based on numbers, I adjust dosing up/down accordingly. Do so in small increments to not cause crazy swings.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me what's most important is consistency, which in turn brings stability. It's all about maintenance.

I test my water 2-3 times per week, and perform a 15-20% water change every weekend. I know a lot of folks are successful without doing these things, but to me, it keeps everything in a healthy range without having to worry much. I don't have to worry about trace elements, pollutants, salinity swings, etc.

Also, I make sure to clean my sump periodically, as well. Every 4th water change or so, I'll clean a couple of chambers in my sump. I find if I let it go too long my Chaeto begins to die off affecting my pH level at night, and also nutrients begin to swing.

I think my regimen is mostly unnecessary if I was keeping LPS and Softies but with mostly SPS, I don't think it's worth the headaches that come with reducing the maintenance.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 81 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back