Reefers Moonshine

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me if this has been asked but I was curious on everyone’s opinions about reefers moonshine. I have started to see a lot of talk on it latelyand it has definitely piqued my interest. The free manual seems to make sense to me but it could also be a very well put together and elaborate sales tactic. Not much info on the YouTube about it. @Randy Holmes-Farley so you have an opinion on this particular method? It relies heavily on Icp testing and daily dosing of several elements. i am curious if any of these elements effects on coral have been studied other than the fact that they occur in natural sea water.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not adding anything other than whats actually in the salt mix/NSW already.
Just keeping those trace levels elevated just like we do to macros dosing 2/3 part.
No daily testing. Monthly adjustments to hand dosing routine based on icp.
All and all much easier than water changes without an AWC.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds very much like the Triton method: test and dose many elements as needed.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me, as long as you can afford the testing needed.

I'm not sure what they say about water changes, but I wouldn't assume none will be useful. You can dose all you want, but that cannot deal with accumulating chemicals.

Last edited:

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds very much like the Triton method: test and dose many elements as needed.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me, as long as you can afford the testing needed.

I'm not sure what they saw about water changes, but I wouldn't assume none will be useful. You can dose all you want, but that cannot deal with accumulating chemicals.
That's basically what it is, but broken down into individual elements instead of having them combined and it's a lot more cost effective. It also only addresses trace elements, leaving the user to choose whether they run kalk, 2 part, CARX, or whatever for the big 3 and nutrient export.

Starting Reef Moonshiners got my tank turned around before a tank leak ended it, though I'm just restarting on the program now.

Back