ReefGrammie's 90-Gallon Reboot

OP
OP
ReefGrammie

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have black currently and I’m too short to see the top of my tank so it doesn’t bother me. I think the white would let more light in? I don’t know...
I was told it’s a carpenters flasher and a C. solorensis. I’m going to ask in the wrasse ID thread when I can get good pictures. The carpenters is quite small and sunk to the bottom when I put them in...it basically crawled to a rock; I was sure he wouldn’t be there by morning but both new fish are out and ate quite a bit in both feeding so far!! My starry blenny was the lone fish in this tank for over a year and he’s quite upset about new roommates. He’s been perched on the gyre all morning and puffing up at me. Kraken is doing great, eats well and comes out often so I can see all her beauty. All of her legs are growing back the tips so I think she’s going to be fine!

Love the name Kraken, and I'm glad she's doing well! Does the C. solorenis have a blue body and red/yellow head? I used to have a solon fairy wrasse. Great fish and I would add again for sure! It's not unusual at all for the flashers to act "dead" when they're put in the tank. My flasher hid in the rock for probably a month. How many gallons is your tank?...since you don't have an ahem...tank build...starfish build thread...;Hilarious

OP
OP
ReefGrammie

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along here. Did you get the new reef breeders light in?
I have the 24 v2+ coming sometime next week. Really excited about the light. For the money it definitely holds it own against the much more expensive ones.

I've had the light since last fall and I love it! I completely agree. It is my 2nd ReefBreeders light and the customer service is great.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s a 90g with the off center overflow box. Your corner box makes more sense and look nicer.
We’re going to be moving in the next year or so. hubby really wants a Niger trigger and a hippo tang. I told him the only way we can get those is with a 220 or larger. THAT will be my build thread ;Woot How long have you had your red starfish?
The wrasse experts confirmed a carpenter flasher and a ruby head fairy (Cirrhilabrus cf cyanopleura). Not the greatest pics but here they are
D2F0D32C-A9C2-4A4C-8730-F4DB9E4AF992.jpeg
1BDFF1EA-177E-49AF-9700-94F2EAA3D912.jpeg

F45683EF-84DD-4021-AEB9-D1D003EBBA04.jpeg
21BF450C-3944-4864-B735-32B7BD90F4A6.jpeg
Pouty blenny in the background ;Hilarious

OP
OP
ReefGrammie

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s a 90g with the off center overflow box. Your corner box makes more sense and look nicer.
We’re going to be moving in the next year or so. hubby really wants a Niger trigger and a hippo tang. I told him the only way we can get those is with a 220 or larger. THAT will be my build thread ;Woot How long have you had your red starfish?
The wrasse experts confirmed a carpenter flasher and a ruby head fairy (Cirrhilabrus cf cyanopleura). Not the greatest pics but here they are
D2F0D32C-A9C2-4A4C-8730-F4DB9E4AF992.jpeg
1BDFF1EA-177E-49AF-9700-94F2EAA3D912.jpeg

F45683EF-84DD-4021-AEB9-D1D003EBBA04.jpeg
21BF450C-3944-4864-B735-32B7BD90F4A6.jpeg
Pouty blenny in the background ;Hilarious

I love it!!! Wrasses... ;Joyful. I'm glad we have the same size tank. Lots to talk about! Tell your husband to dream on...;). I know, my husband does the same thing!! My star is at least 8-9 years old. I upgraded from my 46 to the 90 six years ago and the star came from my original reef tank. Pouty blenny will just need to get over it! ;Hilarious

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really hoping to convince him into getting a much larger tank in the new house. I’m drawn to the bigger fish too, the Niger trigger, red coris wrasse and regal angel are my holy grails. Here’s to hoping!! ;Smuggrin

OP
OP
ReefGrammie

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really hoping to convince him into getting a much larger tank in the new house. I’m drawn to the bigger fish too, the Niger trigger, red coris wrasse and regal angel are my holy grails. Here’s to hoping!! ;Smuggrin

That would be exciting! I knew 90 was about my limit since the kids are grown and all live out of town/state. I'm the sole tank maintenance person! If I'm ever out of town and my husband is in charge, he has an instruction sheet a whole page long to go over! Check the temp, check the water line, fill the ATO reservoir, feed (but don't dump the entire container in the tank), etc. I've had a few frantic phone calls over the years! ;Hilarious

OP
OP
ReefGrammie

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4th of July water change! At the beginning of any water change, I first have to get a visual on my little green clown goby, who has jumped into the overflow at least twice and ended up in my sump, and has also been sucked through the siphon into my water change jug. That little guy has at 9 lives! Water change is done...clown goby is safe. Then, I decided my powerheads needed a cleaning. That's always a fun project because I have limited room on the right side of my tank and I have to squeeze in there to clean the powerhead on top of the canopy. Yes, I disconnect the power source first! I'm too lazy to disconnect the powerhead from the control box, so I just torture myself instead by standing on a step stool and wedging myself into the corner. Those things were nasty! After cleaning those, I looked at my skimmer and thought, yuck. So, out it goes into a vinegar bath for a few hours, then a RO water rinse for a while, then back in the sump. Am I the only person who messes up all my kitchen towels plus a few beach towels on water change/tank cleaning day? I make a gigantic mess. ;Shamefullyembarrased

Left side:
IMG_0352.jpg

Right side torture:
IMG_0353.jpg

Husband hates it when I put this stuff in my sink! Well, it's my sink...
IMG_0354.jpg

Vinegar bath:
IMG_0355.jpg

OP
OP
ReefGrammie

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make that one more beach towel, 3 more kitchen towels, and about 10 paper towels for the skimmer project...plus water all over the kitchen floor! Last tank project for the day (other than running the RO/DI unit and filling up my ATO reservoir). I updated my LED settings again. I'm shooting for a max of around 55-60 for channels 3, 4, 5, and 6. Hopefully, I can accomplish that over the next month or so without frying anything! Just bumped up channel 5 this time.

07.04.2020.png

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice tank. Amazing how quickly you turned it around

Just a word of caution vinegar can and has caused magnets to swell and start rusting. I suggest citric acid.

OP
OP
ReefGrammie

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice tank. Amazing how quickly you turned it around

Just a word of caution vinegar can and has caused magnets to swell and start rusting. I suggest citric acid.

@sfin52, thanks for visiting and the kind words! I've always used about 2 cups of vinegar with about a half bucket of water to clean the skimmer. I was wondering where on earth you can buy citric acid, but I see that BRS carries it! Sounds like it will work great on my powerheads, which I was also cleaning yesterday. Thank you for that tip!! :)

OP
OP
ReefGrammie

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is moving day, as in coral moving day! I made everything really mad....I mean really mad, so the pictures aren't too great. The good thing about coral moving day is I move a few more things up to light acclimate, and then add a few more new ones to the bottom. I really have to stop buying coral... ;Shamefullyembarrased

The new Stelleria chalice that @TriggerFinger forced me to buy ;Hilarious...I can't wait to see this one color up. I bought a tiny JF Chemical Reaction chalice a while back and I'm loving that piece now!
3s.jpg

I LOVE monti caps and couldn't resist this grafted piece!
1s.jpg

Skittles Bomb cyphastrea:
2s.jpg

Cyphastrea has been a surprise coral for me during my reboot. I never had one in my 46-gallon previously, and I love these! I probably have 4 or 5 now in my 90.

The most exciting thing to right now (other than my new coral) is my LFS is reopening Monday after terrible tornado damage several months ago. It was so sad - they basically lost most of the livestock :( and were without power and water for months, along with the roof blown off the back of the building. They say they're coming back better than ever! I can't wait! I've been wheeling and dealing with the owner for almost 12 years now. It will be so great to see them back in business. ;Joyful

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sure, blame me all you want!! Looks like you bought more than a chalice though ;Woot It’s beautiful!! I like caps too, very forgiving for me. I can’t keep cyphastrea alive though, I have two and they have both lost color over time. The “eyes” still glow with blue lights but the rest of the color is gone :( I really like them too. I’m glad the fish store is reopening!! Any plans for new fish? What do you have currently for fish? I need ideas ;)

OP
OP
ReefGrammie

ReefGrammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sure, blame me all you want!! Looks like you bought more than a chalice though ;Woot It’s beautiful!! I like caps too, very forgiving for me. I can’t keep cyphastrea alive though, I have two and they have both lost color over time. The “eyes” still glow with blue lights but the rest of the color is gone :( I really like them too. I’m glad the fish store is reopening!! Any plans for new fish? What do you have currently for fish? I need ideas ;)

I have to blame someone! I sure can't blame myself! ;Hilarious I also bought a hammer, but it was VERY mad at me yesterday! I'll try to add a pic later. I think I'm finally done with my coral buying spree. I have to stop...I have good homes for everything now and should be done with the light acclimating in a few weeks. I have no idea why my chalices and cyphastrea are doing well. I couldn't grow a chalice in my previous tank to save my life! I monitor and dose alk, mag, and calcium, but that's about it. My refugium is growing chaeto and some red thing that I bought from ReefCleaners a month or so ago. I'm not running the GFO at the moment, but will keep a watch on things. I'm going to do a detailed post about my latest fish maladies. Stay tuned!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back