Reefi Uno 2.0s on 40 breeder

russell.dexter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I just received my two reefi uno's 2.0 pros and am in the processing of upgrading a 36 bowfront to a 40 breeder. Goal is a mixed reef with sps in the top 2/3 of the rock work. LPS on the bottom....

My current tank is lit by two nicrew 50's with a peak par of about 200 on the top of the rock work. I would of course want to not burn my new corals as I switch over and slowly increase par.

Any idea of mounting height, which lens to use and any preset profiles to start with?

Looking for current users of the light to help me out.

Thanks!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bumped up the Reefi thread the other day, and I saw you got just one response, although it was good.

I'm not a user, but I'm considering them for an eventual build of mine.

Playing around with a light angle calculator, 90 degree lenses would cover a 18x18 area at 9". I might start about there with the 90 degree lenses to not have any glare. With the 120 degree lenses, about 5-6" distance would get you the 18x18 square.

As far as not frying your corals, I see the software does display total wattage, so you could start right at the 50 watts like you have now and use the light acclimation tool to slowly ramp up over a few weeks.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
following along! i'd ideally like to upgrade my lights to these once i can save up some!

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinkin about getting one of these for a 40 gallon breeder with an anemone being the only photosynthetic thing in there. I assume that’s enough?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinkin about getting one of these for a 40 gallon breeder with an anemone being the only photosynthetic thing in there. I assume that’s enough?
Are you okay with just lighting an 18x18" square in the center of the tank?

That light has plenty of power for basically any application. But if you want it to cover the full 3 feet of a 40 breeder, you will have to hang it higher and will have light spill out the front and back of the tank.

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you okay with just lighting an 18x18" square in the center of the tank?

That light has plenty of power for basically any application. But if you want it to cover the full 3 feet of a 40 breeder, you will have to hang it higher and will have light spill out the front and back of the tank.
No. If anything it will help the anemone find its preferred par. Thanks!

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd lift it to about 16" if you plan on using the 90s. I have a single on a 28x28" tank using 120degree lens got it 12" off the water surface. 104w and Ive got 200ish par avg at 10" below the surface. Do you have a par meter? You will definitely want to use one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back