Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Some of you might have stumbled over my Instagram page Viking_Reefing
or my small YouTube channel.

What started with me just being bored and wanting to share some of the experiance I’ve gathered over the last 20 years in reefing has actually led me to have a decent following.

Personally I detest the word “influencer” (I’m not peddling fit tea or nail polish dangit) but I guess I would fall in to that category. Fairly frequently I do get questions about how this stuff works and sometimes accusations about outright bias.

I’ve not really seen anybody really discussing the topic within our sphere and I do think transparency is important. With that out of the way I’m planning to shoot a video in the coming weeks where I will try to shed some light on the subject (at least from my limited perspective) and I would ask if there are any specific topics or questions that you would like me to cover?

I don’t think there’s anything that I can’t speak about so just let the questions fly.

Thank you and happy reefing!

Last edited by a moderator:

Royal_pudding

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of long term reviews would be one thing. Equipment is really expensive and times are tough. I think reliability would be a huge reason why reefers choose one instead of the other.
That info can be hard to get and harder to trust from Youtube and other user generated content mediums, imo. Especially when you see them flooded with the new best thing you never knew you needed.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of long term reviews would be one thing. Equipment is really expensive and times are tough. I think reliability would be a huge reason why reefers choose one instead of the other.
That info can be hard to get and harder to trust from Youtube and other user generated content mediums, imo. Especially when you see them flooded with the new best thing you never knew you needed.
Good point and that’s something I’m definitely guilty of myself. Added to the list!

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who has been on and off in the hobby spotlight for a number of years, and just this past year getting into the social media side of things, one aspect that I dislike about the "influencer" type of accounts is the lack of explanation as to what is done and how the results have been achieved.

The eye candy is all well and good, but many are seeking knowledge to emulate our results, and we do a disservice to our followers and the hobby itself if we are not releasing our findings, tactics, and knowledge. I personally follow your page on IG, and it is one of my favorites as you do explain what is done to maintain your system and are not overly commercial.

On the other side, there is the product posting and pressure to accept gifts of gear including monetary compensation to post company products. I have a small, 11K follower(IG), but growing page and am sent messages weekly about using or promoting varies products, and end up turning down most. The products on my main display were all purchased using my own funds, after extensive testing. Only then am I confident to recommend a product.

I can only imagine how many offers you receive with your 100K+ followers.

I wonder, is your process to determining what you will accept similar to my own, where if it smells funny or doesn't fit in with your philosophy, it is outright rejected? As you stated, transparency is very important as I have seen some reefers(who shall not be named) promote one thing, and do another.

Thankfully, you do a great job with your postings and are a trusted source. Keep up the great work.

-Sonny

KandAReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Some of you might have stumbled over my Instagram page Viking_Reefing https://www.instagram.com/viking_reefing?igsh=dGVhYnd6cHBobmpx&utm_source=qr
or my small YouTube channel.

What started with me just being bored and wanting to share some of the experiance I’ve gathered over the last 20 years in reefing has actually led me to have a decent following.

Personally I detest the word “influencer” (I’m not peddling fit tea or nail polish dangit) but I guess I would fall in to that category. Fairly frequently I do get questions about how this stuff works and sometimes accusations about outright bias.

I’ve not really seen anybody really discussing the topic within our sphere and I do think transparency is important. With that out of the way I’m planning to shoot a video in the coming weeks where I will try to shed some light on the subject (at least from my limited perspective) and I would ask if there are any specific topics or questions that you would like me to cover?

I don’t think there’s anything that I can’t speak about so just let the questions fly.

Thank you and happy reefing!
First thing be honest with your viewers. If you are sponsored say it trust me in this world I don't really think anyone would blame you for it. Do longer tests and updates to equipment so few people review for the long term. For me I like to see raw content when it comes to this type of thing when I see editing in a video on the hobby I assume you are tring to hide something lol. We all know the YouTube game at this point and expect the click bate title and the way over done thumbnail it ok I personally would not judge you on it it's part of the game. Best of luck to you on this it's opening yourself up to the world lol. And just remember to tell yourself any engagement with a video is good farm the hate my friend the algorithm doesn't care.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow. Seems like a claim Chat GPT would make for itself. lol

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who has been on and off in the hobby spotlight for a number of years, and just this past year getting into the social media side of things, one aspect that I dislike about the "influencer" type of accounts is the lack of explanation as to what is done and how the results have been achieved.

The eye candy is all well and good, but many are seeking knowledge to emulate our results, and we do a disservice to our followers and the hobby itself if we are not releasing our findings, tactics, and knowledge. I personally follow your page on IG, and it is one of my favorites as you do explain what is done to maintain your system and are not overly commercial.

On the other side, there is the product posting and pressure to accept gifts of gear including monetary compensation to post company products. I have a small, 11K follower(IG), but growing page and am sent messages weekly about using or promoting varies products, and end up turning down most. The products on my main display were all purchased using my own funds, after extensive testing. Only then am I confident to recommend a product.

I can only imagine how many offers you receive with your 100K+ followers.

I wonder, is your process to determining what you will accept similar to my own, where if it smells funny or doesn't fit in with your philosophy, it is outright rejected? As you stated, transparency is very important as I have seen some reefers(who shall not be named) promote one thing, and do another.

Thankfully, you do a great job with your postings and are a trusted source. Keep up the great work.

-Sonny
Thanks Sonny! Definitely some interesting questions and I’ll be sure to include them!
First thing be honest with your viewers. If you are sponsored say it trust me in this world I don't really think anyone would blame you for it. Do longer tests and updates to equipment so few people review for the long term. For me I like to see raw content when it comes to this type of thing when I see editing in a video on the hobby I assume you are tring to hide something lol. We all know the YouTube game at this point and expect the click bate title and the way over done thumbnail it ok I personally would not judge you on it it's part of the game. Best of luck to you on this it's opening yourself up to the world lol. And just remember to tell yourself any engagement with a video is good farm the hate my friend the algorithm doesn't care.
Oh don’t you worry, I can take it. I’m a grown man for crying out loud haha.

Any other questions guys? Now’s the time to ask if you have any ;)

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a channel as well. Definitely not an influencer. I donate the ad revenue too. Just here to help and learn. Glad to see another Reefer looking to share!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back