Reefing Real Estate: Does everything need to be covered?

Coral in your reef tank?

• Pack in as many as I can get

Votes: 75 14.0%
  • A lot but leave room for growth

Votes: 358 67.0%
  • Less is more

Votes: 74 13.9%
  • Very very few

Votes: 16 3.0%
  • Fish only...blah!

Votes: 6 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 0.9%

• Total voters

SkinnyMcGinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1394.jpeg

SkinnyMcGinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's still a little bit of rock real estate left, but lots of coral border wars happening also! I'd guess 10-15 colonies have been wiped out by angry neighbors. There is pectinia not he other side of the tank that nukes anything close.

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted “less is more”

I like every bit of rock covered with coral, but I prefer having larger colonies of fewer individual species. Instead of having 64 different species of SPS in small colonies in my tank, I’d prefer to have 12 Species of SPS in large colonies.

As of right now, my tank is nowhere near that point. My system has been up since the beginning of February and I finally got rid of nuisance algae about two months ago. I added a test piece of SPS a month ago to see if it’d survive before I start filling my tank up with frags and wait for them to grow into mature colonies. All that’s left to do then is wait a few years.

Ionclad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops my wallet slipped... just set this tank up in February and continue to go to the LFS at least once a week and always come home with at least one coral... yes I have a problem

3A9E416E-6DBA-42E9-9B3F-9EFC42892AD2.jpeg
C35B1B56-E2D9-4E1F-8E00-311EA261462E.jpeg
E3F7B1F6-3D98-4992-AEB7-7569E491B3E5.jpeg
Hi Problem, welcome to the club.

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a mixed reef so I selected my fish with great,care and my live rock from Tampa Bay saltwater. The rock is gorgeous, lots of coralline algae etc. So I run a softy tank with Monti and a few acros. Im trying to highlight everything, fish, crabs. Rock. Corals etc. So a little different approach.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my fish more than coral. That said I have recently set up a forty gallon breeder for coral and maybe a shrimp or two. I put a trachy in it 4 months ago and it rarely eats. It does swell up impressively while the lights are on. My 140 DT has mollies in it that seem to nibble on coral. Waiting until they age out to add more. My 65 gallon has 4 small fish and lots of softies. I am never in a hurry.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite reef tanks are the ones with islands covered in big acros, but huge areas of open sand. Less is more, beautiful!

But I don’t follow that...at...all. Mine’s so stuffed I have to sell off colonies to make room for new corals I want. Someone tell my wife I need a bigger tank!

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Are you addicted to corals? Yeahhh

2. How do you like the look of coral covering every inch of a reef tank?
I don’t like it. As a longtime scuba diver I need to see free swimming space for fish and sand, I need sand...

3. What are some NEGATIVE things you have learned about packing your tank full of corals?
I feel like it’s kindda dirty and lose track of each individual coral growth, wich is something I really love.

Currently I have a 65gal.

AB86FE01-08EC-4589-9532-91542F4C1EFB.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes i have problem :rolleyes: :ppack em in:)
WP_20160312_009 (1).jpg

ACReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk about "Reefing Real Estate!"

It's a problem we all have faced or thought about at one time or another. Whether you have already ran out of space or are planning to run out of space it's something we all have or must consider. But how do you really feel about packing an aquarium with as many corals as possible? Do you like the look or are you just addicted? Both? :p Today let's talk about it and get your tank on reefing real estate!

1. Are you addicted to corals? I'll answer that one for 99% of you. YES!

2. How do you like the look of coral covering every inch of a reef tank?

3. What are some NEGATIVE things you have learned about packing your tank full of corals?

Here is my old 120g from 2008. Not completely covered but you get the idea...

1596125061708.png
I like to have as many corals as I can but I want to be selective and take my time when choosing them

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite reef tanks are the ones with islands covered in big acros, but huge areas of open sand. Less is more, beautiful!

But I don’t follow that...at...all. Mine’s so stuffed I have to sell off colonies to make room for new corals I want. Someone tell my wife I need a bigger tank!

Send me her number and I will be happy to call her. But you must tell my husband that I need a 200 gallon tank for my baby regal angels to grow up in. ;Happy

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back