Reefkeeper catches mycobacterium marinum infection

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd never heard about "aquarium granuloma" or mycobacterium marinum infection in humans, probably because it's quite uncommon.
Still I thought this video would be interesting for people to watch, so that we can raise awareness.
We should at least recognise the general symptoms on a superficial level, since doctors have trouble diagnosing this.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef tanks in particular are veritable petri dishes of nastyness. Ever since I started in the hobby, almost two decades ago, I've always been extremely fastidious with personal hygience when working in the tanks.

I always scrub up before doing planned maintenence, and basically treat the tank and surrounding area like an operating theater. And when I'm done I'm always very thourough in washing off, without fail. If I nick myself while doing tank work, I always break off immediately to wash and disinfect.

And so far it's kept me completely in the clear, even from minor infections. :)

Sirlagzalott

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a nasty infection years ago that they believed was mycobacterium. Helped a buddy break down a tank and cut my thumb picking up live rock. The cut on my thumb was tiny. That night the pain was so bad it woke me up. Later the next day I had a red line up my arm as it got into my lymph system. Went to the ER and spent 2 days on IV antibiotics. Definitely be careful and if doing a lot of wet rock work, consider gloves.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a nasty infection years ago that they believed was mycobacterium.
Likewise. Fortunately, my doctor at the time (and still) is a fellow reefer and suspected what it was immediately. I would like to say the experience taught me better hygiene - sadly I am not a learning organism apparently. I have managed to avoid paly toxin though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back