Reefkeeper Lite and email alerts?

tomisw30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a Reefkeeper Lite and was wondering if anyone has set it up to get alerts or stats via email?

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I would revive this thread since I am attempting to do the same thing and I have the Net module. I am getting errors with setting up the email notifications(32768). I assume this is due to most e-mail servers needing SSL and the Net module cannot do this? I have tried Juno and SMTP2Go and still cannot get around this. Does anyone still have e-mail alerts running on the RKE with a email service that is available to the public? I may have to check with my ISP but everything is working on my unit except for this.

Thanks

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before setting up the Archon I had a NET module connected to my RKE. The problem I had with the email setup was finding the correct port that my email service used to send/receive email. I didn't think I had issues with the need for SSL. I have Comcast internet service and after I entered the correct incoming and outgoing mail ports the email function worked fine.

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on some of the info I got from the DA forum, SSL is an issue but it very well be my ISP. Just wondered if anyone still had the email working on the Net module.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I have not used the NET module in years. It is not used with the Archon. It did work on Time Warner email back when I was using it. You are correct with the SSL though. You will have to find a email provider that will allow a port connection without SSL. Gmail used to have one.

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The odd thing is that I have tried and juno and smtp2go which say they don't require any SSL but I still cannot get the Net module to successfully test the email. I set up the mail app on my laptop with the same info and I can get outgoing e-mail from it. Would a reset benefit me at all? If so, I only lose the port assignment and the RSS setting, correct? The naming of the modules is outside the Net module, correct?

This is the last piece of the setup. I loooked in the Archon unit but $400 for for the e-mail option is a little steep. I don't need wifi as I have a wire connection at the tank and the modules I have seem to be all I need currently..

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A NET reset will change everything on the NET back to factory defaults. The naming on the NET is separate from the naming via myReef. You will have to setup the net module again after the reset. I don't think a reset will help in this instance. Do you get an error code when you do the test?

The Archon has more than just wifi and the added ports. I don't know if you are using myReef to program or not, but the Archon has this built into the system with a more advanced version. It can be controlled with a smart phone, tablet or computer. This includes Apple products. myReef only works with Windows computers. Once setup for external access. All programming is available from any location with internet access. The NET module has limited programming. There are things I would not want to change unless I was at the tank though. Until you require something that cannot be done by what you have $400 is large investment.

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the Error 32768. I looked it up and it means:
The error message "32768" is shown when the NET module cannot connect to the configured mail server using the set SMTP Server address. Please verify with your email service provider that you have entered the correct SMTP server address. Which I am sure you know :)

I have tried lots of ports. I even asked my ISP if they were blocking any ports and they said no. smtp2go even has the option to allow an IP address to send without authentication but I cannot get that to work either.

I assume the Archon can manage SSL for email accounts? I will have to look into a used one possibly. I do use the myReef at home but also use mymobile reef. It is working on my android device currently. I can control the few things I have plugged in and monitor temp and PH. It is a little dated but works.

I appreciate your help. You been working with DA products for a long time!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you have the correct SMTP server address for you provider? if it was a port issue that is a different error message. It is like it does not get a response back from the provider. The port will be different for a non SSL than the SSL. Find out which port is non SSL. GMX may still work. I think the ports have changed since the link that I posted.

The Archon uses gmail. It is hard coded into the Archon now. All you need to set is the email account or accounts you want to receive the email. I do believe it is SSL compatible. It is a Linux box with the added ports. So basically it is a small computer that has the hardware to interface with DA RKE/RKL modules. There is a USB memory stick that files are loaded from when the Archon is powered up or reset. All graphing is saved to the memory stick. All ports and outputs are graphed. This can be backed up to a folder on your computer.

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the smtp settings on the email app in win10 and some older video monitoring software with email alerts. They are avoiding any SSL authentication too. It is weird. I can get everything else to send email but not the Net module...

Will have to keep messing with it.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do decide to reset you may want to print out the setup pages so you will know how to get it back to where it was before. Have you updated the web pages and firmware on the NET module? If so you do need to do a reset before using.

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The net is at 2.07 and web page is at 2.12. I think this is current. I know I updated the web page a few weeks ago. Maybe I need a reset.

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHA. I reset the Net module and setup the email first thing. Test was successful... What a PITA. I guess my web page update screwed it up.

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got everything back up and running with notifications! smtp2go works very well as I can assign my own unique email address so it is more obvious as to what the email is for.

Thanks again for the help!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On NET Module on the RKE or RKL always do a reset to factory defaults after updates. The memory used to store things can change from one firmware version to another. This can cause unintended results if not reset to factory defaults after an update. Glad you got it figured out.

Holdbar7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before setting up the Archon I had a NET module connected to my RKE. The problem I had with the email setup was finding the correct port that my email service used to send/receive email. I didn't think I had issues with the need for SSL. I have Comcast internet service and after I entered the correct incoming and outgoing mail ports the email function worked fine.

I know this thread is little dead.. but maybe you can help. What were the correct ports for comcast? I also use them as an ISP but can not get this email notification to function. Ive tried GMX and Juno with correct SMTP servers and ports 25, 587, among others with no luck. I was going to call comcast, but i dont know where to direct my call or what Im actually asking for.

Current settings are:

Notification Enable (Box checked)
Communication Email Enable (Box checked)

To: ******@vtext.com
CC: none

Email Authentication Enable (Box checked)
Email username: ******@juno.com
Email password: *********

SMTP Server: smtp.juno.com
Email Port: 587

Test returns "Test Failed: Error 32769"

Happens no matter what port i select with both Juno and GMX.

Net webserver is wepage version 2.12 and Net module is firmware version 2.09 with a factory reset last night.

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t remember the ports off hand. I’ll try to find them when I get home and let you know. I don’t have this controller set up anymore.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back