Reefkeeper lite plus

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone familiar or used the reefkeeper life plus? Is it a good starter controller? Can I control anything plugged into the power bars or just reefkeeper stuff?

sandalscout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Lite basic many years ago, and I was very happy with it. I've looked into them again, and frankly, based on what I've seen from people needing assistance from the company, lack of updated products lately, etc, I have been leaning toward an Apex system when/if I need one.

I can't speak to the system lab or additional probes, but as a basic power on/off and temperature controller, the RKL was just fine. You can control anything from the power bars, as long as they are under the rated amperage.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a reef keeper lite for 4 years. I have 2 pc4 controllable power bars, one slx module (2 ph/orp ports, I just use one for a pH probe), a temp probe, and a net module.

It controls both channels on my ati fixture + fans, my brs dosers, my heaters, and my refugium light. I also have my skimmer and return pump plugged in so I can easily turn them on and off.

I have a low pH and high pH alarm which shuts off my doser if alk gets overdosed somehow. I have low and high temperature alarms which serve as a back up for my heaters thermostats and it only turns them on if my temp drops below a certain point anyway. I have a float switch alarm that texts/emails me if water level in my sump rises due to my return pump failing or something.

All alarms send me an email and text through the net module.

I think that covers everything :) I love it, very simple and easy to use/program.

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have one i was trying to sell.... nobody was interested in it, so i started buying used modules for it.... the only complaint i have with it is that i can't program it with my MacBook... and even with the net module i can't program it with a web based like the apex....

so far it is a really solid controller that i got great functionality for a fraction of the cost of an apex due to being able to pick up used stuff for it...

there are a couple on eBay right now for great prices

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI for the OP you can do all of the programming on the head unit of the actual device, which I do. It's a very simple user interface imo. I only use the net module to send me texts and emails.

I also use another reef keeper lite as a temp controller for my qt tank. I never trust a heater. It's only 129.99 for the lite (I think) which is cheaper than most temp controllers anyway.

Overall i also feel that it's simplicity leaves less room for error. One misplaced character in your apex code (not to mention that you have to write code) and something bad could happen. If your willing to spend the money for an apex I wouldn't hesitate, but I wasn't at the time and have been happy ever since.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back