Reeflink worth it for Radions Only?

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought some used Radions XR30s, and should be picking them up this weekend. These are the only Ecotech devices I will have. Does getting a Reeflink provide any benefit over setting them up with a cable to my computer? I know the wireless feature would be nice, but once they are set up, is there a reason to need to access the program?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like to tweek your programming it's worth it. If you're a set it and forget it then it's not really worth the extra $$

OP
OP
C

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like to tweek your programming it's worth it. If you're a set it and forget it then it's not really worth the extra $$
Yeah, I'm more of a set-it-and-forget-it kind of guy. I'm not sure how long it will take to find the right setting, but once I'm there, I don't plan to mess with it.

OP
OP
C

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what Gen you bought, but I thought some of the older revs worked with their Mobius app. I may be wrong though
They are gen 3. I would be surprised if they worked with Mobius. I read something about a chip change, so if that is a possibility I may go that route if it is not too expensive. But after I get some time on them, if I don’t get the urge to mess with the settings, I probably won’t bother with it.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the gen 4 and I love the reeflink. It' very easy to load the AB+ program, or change the sliders. Whey easier than the buttons. Also changing the intensity and extending times. Also if you have the MP 40 pumps they are so easy to set compared to trying to push certain buttons in different sequence.

Luis1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought 4 used radions xr15pro and immediately knew I needed the reeflink. I didn’t want to be next to my light constantly with my cord. One thing I can say for sure if you get a reeflink hard wire it yo your internet. It does not need to directly connected to the lights or right next to them.

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bought the gen 4 xr15 pro new and the cable hook up only worked one time. It was stuck on a setting i didn't want. The next day i went out and bought the reef link which for me was not easy. it's hooked up to my wifi at home and it disconnects all the time. I love the light but will never buy another one ;Drool

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had bought the gen 4 xr15 pro new and the cable hook up only worked one time. It was stuck on a setting i didn't want. The next day i went out and bought the reef link which for me was not easy. it's hooked up to my wifi at home and it disconnects all the time. I love the light but will never buy another one ;Drool
Wifi has problems on lots of devices. Ethernet is the way to go to get the best reliability.

OP
OP
C

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like most people would not recommend that I get the Reeflink, mostly because of connection issues or because I don't plan to mess with the settings too much. I should have the light Sunday and will set them up with the cable. But I may just keep my eyes open for someone selling their Reeflink cheap due to the introduction of the new Mobius app. But it doesn't sound like it is worth paying full price for.

Thanks for the responses!

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who spent over 6 years NOT using the reeflink and then geting one, its SO MUCH BETTER than having to hardwire your lights to your computer every time you need to do something, and half the time it doesnt work through the usb.
The reeflink is much more reliable than the usb

OP
OP
C

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the gen 4 and I love the reeflink. It' very easy to load the AB+ program, or change the sliders. Whey easier than the buttons. Also changing the intensity and extending times. Also if you have the MP 40 pumps they are so easy to set compared to trying to push certain buttons in different sequence.
No MP40s or any other Ecotech devices. My understanding is that I can still load the programs, change the sliders, adjust time and intensity, etc., with the cable connected to a computer. So all I should be missing is the ability to change things with a phone or ipad. Please let me know if my understanding is incorrect!

OP
OP
C

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who spent over 6 years NOT using the reeflink and then geting one, its SO MUCH BETTER than having to hardwire your lights to your computer every time you need to do something, and half the time it doesnt work through the usb.
The reeflink is much more reliable than the usb

Wow, I didn't expect to hear that from what I have read about the reeflink! How often do you change something on the lights. I don't mess with my current lights' settings (simple black boxes with only blue and white adjustments). So I figure I probably won't mess with the Radions too much either.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I didn't expect to hear that from what I have read about the reeflink! How often do you change something on the lights. I don't mess with my current lights' settings (simple black boxes with only blue and white adjustments). So I figure I probably won't mess with the Radions too much either.

Well worth the money for a Reeflink

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the tank is going, I don’t tend to mess with it much but since this tank is just starting up I’ve been adjusting the light strength and color to match what the corals like and also for my own viewing pleasure ( little more blue at night) about once a week.

Using the USB to connect and program the lights sometimes took me multiple days and phone calls to ETM to have them fix whatever issues were causing the lights to run correctly on their schedules.
After I got the reeflink haven’t had a single issue

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back