ReefMat 500 or 1200 for 126 gallon

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ELOS 120XL coming, and I'm considering getting a ReefMat 500 or 1200. The 500 flow rate is pretty low, whereas I may be running close to the max. Having a bit more flow would be ideal, just in case I need to run higher flow through a UV that will be run on the return line (via parallel manifold). Just wondering if the 1200 would be "overkill" somehow?

126g display
40g-ish sump (custom, still planning)
Ultra Reef 160 skimmer

pretty high bioload (anthias, genicanthus)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would honestly say it depends on your bio load, ie: the number of fish. I have a 200-gallon Red Sea with roughly 42 fish and I'm upgrading from the ReefMat 500 to the ReefMat 1200 in a week or so - mainly to get extended fleece use with the larger rolls (so instead of changing out every 7-10 days, I'm hoping I can get 2-3 weeks instead).

I think you'll be fine with the ReefMat 500 unless you go insane with stocking like I do.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would honestly say it depends on your bio load, ie: the number of fish. I have a 200-gallon Red Sea with roughly 42 fish and I'm upgrading from the ReefMat 500 to the ReefMat 1200 in a week or so - mainly to get extended fleece use with the larger rolls (so instead of changing out every 7-10 days, I'm hoping I can get 2-3 weeks instead).

I think you'll be fine with the ReefMat 500 unless you go insane with stocking like I do.

I don't suspect I'll have an insane stocking plan, but if it doesn't hurt to upsize, I might just do it.

1. I'm custom designing the sump anyway, so I'll make sure both the 1200 and 500 would fit
2. If I really need to crank the flow up, the ELOS tank allows for 3,000gph or so of flow through the drain. Not sure if I would do this, but it would be best not to be limited by the ReefMat 500.

Maybe it would even be good. I'd use up less fleece?

I will have a bunch of anthias, genicanthus, and some anemone crabs, so I think I'm going to feed very heavily. I don't think I'll outdo the Reefmat 500, but the ability to go up is still really good.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't suspect I'll have an insane stocking plan, but if it doesn't hurt to upsize, I might just do it.

1. I'm custom designing the sump anyway, so I'll make sure both the 1200 and 500 would fit
2. If I really need to crank the flow up, the ELOS tank allows for 3,000gph or so of flow through the drain. Not sure if I would do this, but it would be best not to be limited by the ReefMat 500.

Maybe it would even be good. I'd use up less fleece?

I will have a bunch of anthias, genicanthus, and some anemone crabs, so I think I'm going to feed very heavily. I don't think I'll outdo the Reefmat 500, but the ability to go up is still really good.
I ran the numbers and the ReefMat 1200 ends up being more cost effective to operate on a per square inch basis for fleece - in addition to extending a lot more time between roll changes. I think it's a great idea to plan for being able to run either the 1200 or 500, but I suspect the 500 will probably meet your needs just fine.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran the numbers and the ReefMat 1200 ends up being more cost effective to operate on a per square inch basis for fleece - in addition to extending a lot more time between roll changes. I think it's a great idea to plan for being able to run either the 1200 or 500, but I suspect the 500 will probably meet your needs just fine.

Thanks a ton!!

Eagle78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ELOS 120XL coming, and I'm considering getting a ReefMat 500 or 1200. The 500 flow rate is pretty low, whereas I may be running close to the max. Having a bit more flow would be ideal, just in case I need to run higher flow through a UV that will be run on the return line (via parallel manifold). Just wondering if the 1200 would be "overkill" somehow?

126g display
40g-ish sump (custom, still planning)
Ultra Reef 160 skimmer

pretty high bioload (anthias, genicanthus)
If you can and fit the 1200 in your sump, get the 1200! That what a did., install it today =). Will see how it run.

Eagle78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what tank do you have?
I have 2 tanks connect to a sump, 130 g and 40 g, both overflow will go in the reefmat 1200. But for now, I only setup the 125 g. Today I level up the reefmat maybe 4 inch so the water in the reefmat have more pressure to pass trough the fleet. I thing it will be more efficiently. Tomorrow I will plug le 40g to reefmat. Hope everything will be fine

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back