ReefMat fleece roll consumption

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The redsea is:
  • Width: 6.7"
the reefmat 1200. Mine uses about 45 inch average a day. on the 1st roll. Bought 5 extra rolls just in case. When I am down to 3 or 2 will buy more so I dont run out. I used the legs instead of hanging improved usage. People say that raising a few inch higher on other brands makes the roll last longer. Basically increasing head pressure, but doesnt this back up water in the display tank?

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the majority of the water passes thru the filter media on the areas not submerged in the water. Therefore, raising the unit up will increase filtration surface areas. This won't have any affect on head pressure nor cause water to back up in the display.
My dummy Bubble Magus only rolls/advances about 1/2" when the float switch is tripped (then the water level inside the roller dropped about 2"-3"). It looks like the Red Sea has option for setting how much material is rolled/advanced when the sensor tripped?

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the majority of the water passes thru the filter media on the areas not submerged in the water. Therefore, raising the unit up will increase filtration surface areas. This won't have any affect on head pressure nor cause water to back up in the display.
My dummy Bubble Magus only rolls/advances about 1/2" when the float switch is tripped (then the water level inside the roller dropped about 2"-3"). It looks like the Red Sea has option for setting how much material is rolled/advanced when the sensor tripped?
Yes you can adjust how much to roll when hits the sensor. I need to figure out a way to raise the unit higher maybe a fe more inches.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a ood option to have the ability to adjust how much the roll advance.
I started testing the 80 microns Coolant paper roll last night and so far so good.
One thing I noticed, the skimmer went crazy as I advanced the remaining Bubble Magus material to feed the new roll through. I think it is a good indication for those with skimmer overflow issues not to have too much material roll when the sensor trip.

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems like a ood option to have the ability to adjust how much the roll advance.
I started testing the 80 microns Coolant paper roll last night and so far so good.
One thing I noticed, the skimmer went crazy as I advanced the remaining Bubble Magus material to feed the new roll through. I think it is a good indication for those with skimmer overflow issues not to have too much material roll when the sensor trip.
Did he do a custom size for you. I heard it's not really a direct fit either.

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He replied he said he could make it 6.7" for reefmat 50 micron at 50yards minimum which is a bit long and 2 inch core and total would be around 4inches. Going to measure reefmat one and see.

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I see. So 6.7" is about 170mm. His material is thinner so it rolled up almost the same (except the core being larger).
Yes, so 50 yards will work. Only issue is core, what we can be used to meet the core dimensions because it's 1.5 for reefmat. Each roll is 10$ plus shipping min 2 buy. That's cheap compare to red sea.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy this, it works great for the cores. You will need to find a wider width in your case, but the 4" is perfect for me. As I said above Steve is a good guy with precision, but be aware what your buying isn't plug n play.

Jyongmer 30 Pack 3.9 Inches Craft Rolls - Sturdy Cardboard Tubes for DIY Crafts and Handmade Projects https://a.co/d/1Ma8DNU

Yes, so 50 yards will work. Only issue is core, what we can be used to meet the core dimensions because it's 1.5 for reefmat. Each roll is 10$ plus shipping min 2 buy. That's cheap compare to red sea.

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well he will make the width for me perfect. I am thinking of 3d printing the core that I can swap out when I need install new one. Would be 2inch outer and 1.5inch inner. How are the roll material any weird issues? It's just some paper correct?

Craig085

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ReefMat 1200 that is using 200cm a day. I am sending around 700gpm through it. My tank is a Redsea XXL750. Any thoughts on how to reduce the daily usage? I have tried other auto lengths.
Same situation though I believe the increased usage is a combination of increased flow and NoPox clogging. Here's a quick snapshot of my 1200 usage over 3 days. I'll post an update in a few weeks to see how it settles in. P650 tank moderately stocked mixed reef fed daily. 3x gyres synced to OGC. Hence the uptake in roll usage between about 16:00 - 23:00

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-06-15-12-51-17-704_com.hippotec.redsea.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-15-12-51-17-704_com.hippotec.redsea.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 91
OP
OP
mackdave

mackdave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy this, it works great for the cores. You will need to find a wider width in your case, but the 4" is perfect for me. As I said above Steve is a good guy with precision, but be aware what your buying isn't plug n play.

Jyongmer 30 Pack 3.9 Inches Craft Rolls - Sturdy Cardboard Tubes for DIY Crafts and Handmade Projects https://a.co/d/1Ma8DNU
I ordered these on amazon to go inside the roll. I will update when I change the roll.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates to share on how long your reefmat rolls last before needing to be replaced?

Thanks all!

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any updates to share on how long your reefmat rolls last before needing to be replaced?

Thanks all!
Hey I have the 1200 I am hitting 4 weeks and have like 10ft left. Average about 40-45 inches a day. You can do the math to be exact.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back