ReefMatt 500 going through a new roll in less than a week

Pennywise67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a ReefMatt 500 on my new tank back in early September, it worked flawlessly for the first month and went through the roll at right about 30 days. It gave me notice that it was getting close to the end so I changed the roll Sunday morning. Everything was working fine and it advanced like it should. I left for a business' trip monday, and this afternoon i got a notice that the roll will be out in 5 days. I will be back home thursday morning to look at it. But what causes the roll to advance so fast. everything is fine in the tank so fast. Yesterday it used 130" and today 450" so far. I average around 20"'s the first 30 days. I am not running the media basket under the roller. What should I check when i get home?

Larry

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't be using anywhere near that much unless something is configured incorrectly. A few questions:

Q1: Are you running more flow than the fleece roller is rated for?
Q2: What is the water height in the sump where you've installed your ReefMat? (the sensor on mine is 4-5" above the waterline for comparison)
Q3: Is this mounted in a Red Sea Reefer sump or another type of sump?
Q4: Any images of your setup? (or would this have to wait until Thursday)

OP
OP
P

Pennywise67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't be using anywhere near that much unless something is configured incorrectly. A few questions:

Q1: Are you running more flow than the fleece roller is rated for? No Havent touched the flow after changing the roll. Ran perfectly the 30 days before
Q2: What is the water height in the sump where you've installed your ReefMat? (the sensor on mine is 4-5" above the waterline for comparison) - about 2" I believe the set called for 1.5" per the instructions. But again its the same as it was beofre roll change
Q3: Is this mounted in a Red Sea Reefer sump or another type of sump? Its in a Trigger Sapphire 39 and I using the legs
Q4: Any images of your setup? (or would this have to wait until Thursday) I can take one when I get home.

See answers above. Im guessing something plugged the outlet on the bottom of the basket
I thought you meant in the basket. The sump water height is right above the inlet hose.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See answers above. Im guessing something plugged the outlet on the bottom of the basket
I thought you meant in the basket. The sump water height is right above the inlet hose.
Try removing the basket (not needed if you're not running media). This can and does affect flow and fleece usage. Sounds like the water height is at a good point. Feel free to PM me if it turns out to not be a clogged basket and are still having issues.

OP
OP
P

Pennywise67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try removing the basket (not needed if you're not running media). This can and does affect flow and fleece usage. Sounds like the water height is at a good point. Feel free to PM me if it turns out to not be a clogged basket and are still having issues.
The basket isnt on. I never put it on when I set it up. Could the sensor get dirty? Once i get home I can actually see if any of the water heights changed. Luckily i have another roll already at home. Thanks for the help.

Larry

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The basket isnt on. I never put it on when I set it up. Could the sensor get dirty? Once i get home I can actually see if any of the water heights changed. Luckily i have another roll already at home. Thanks for the help.

Larry
Yeah, the sensor can get dirty on the wet side - but it usually works regardless and is really easy to clean with a q-tip and nylon toothbrush.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back