OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All DIY LED over the acro frag tanks, you can see the heatsink in the lower frag tanks. Basiclly 2:1 ratio RB to Cool White with a few Blue and couple Cyan but thats about it

Last edited:

SAKTEK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All DIY LED over the acro frag tanks, you can see the heatsink in the lower left frag tank. Basiclly 2:1 ratio RB to Cool White with a few Blue and couple Cyan but thats about it

I was just going through your whole thread. "Gorgeous"!!! That's all I gotta say.

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going through your whole thread. "Gorgeous"!!! That's all I gotta say.

Thanks!

So Its been awhile since Ive done any update to this build, my local forums site got hacked and Im pretty sure all the "history" on that site is toast. Oh well, I have 3 photobucket accounts - :tongue:

Still impossible to get a FTS but here it is, not a lot of change other than things are getting big-I'm afraid another sale thread is due-my 3 SPS frag tanks are stuffed and its time to choose who will stay and who will go :eek:oh:

FTS as of today

Left side

Right side

and I found this little gem growing back, its the SniperSPS Bubble Gum milli I got from Battle Corals. This is the spot it was placed originally last year and then I moved it, about 3 months after I moved it died-I have since got another frag from Adam but I noticed this growing back a couple months ago-:bigsmile:

Its funny how many little colonies pop up from where I initially placed a frag and then moved it.

And people cant say I'm a total SPS nut (although I am) here is my dendro

and here are a few wall hammers, my ricordea garden, torch in the back ground, blastos, flower pot, my pink ******* colony which is the only chalice I kept from the 50+ I used to have, and also my elegance

Anyway thanks for looking, I had to update something, I was having a little withdrawl

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I found this little gem growing back, its the SniperSPS Bubble Gum milli I got from Battle Corals. This is the spot it was placed originally last year and then I moved it, about 3 months after I moved it died-I have since got another frag from Adam but I noticed this growing back a couple months ago-:bigsmile:

Its funny how many little colonies pop up from where I initially placed a frag and then moved it.

l

Yahoooo!

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the Great tanks around!

Thanks Darrell, thats a great compliment but I think there is still work to be done before I can be in the group- it is the nicest tank on my street tho :snicker:

No kidding, I wasn't quite sure at first, I thought it was part of the del fuego right next to it but its now showing the red, blue, green they Bubble gum had. I wish the hell flower would have pulled through :cry_002:

You have to love Resurrection.

Ya gotta love those little morsels that grow out, even more when you didn't know there was anything there:tongue:

Looking good Brad ..... THx for the update.

Thanks Jon:happy:

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had a chance to go through this thread this morning and all I can say is WOW!!!
Feed the addiction!!!

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for all the props!!

I am running the same skimmer and that thing is a beast, I did replace the pump and went with the bubble blaster 5000 and I also have the avast swabbie that the APEX has programmed to clean 3x in 24hours. I have no doubt that is why I have lower than I want NO3, its zero on a salifert test-the water is crystal clear zero pink. Its also has my PO4 low which I should check but last check it was .02 I'd like to get it back to the .08 range.

The frag tanks just increased water volume and I literally feed them nothing so there hasn't been an increase in bioload by much. I do have a small yellow tang in each tank that help peck at any algae that mat grow and a few Trochus to assist as well. The tangs are not skinny by any means, they aren't fat like all the display fish, but the are very healthy

I ordered a new lens for my camera, its a Tamron SP 60MM F/2.0 Di II 1:1 Macro

So hopefully I can post some nice pics once it shows. The 90mm macro was great for those tight FOV shots but from what I've read this 60mm is going to give that same macro but "more" to the picture.

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New lens showed -WOOO HOOO

This acan turned solid red under my LEDs, its starting to get its color back-just wait 4 more months

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in post 109 you talk about your filtration. You mention the use of Purigen, can you tell us how much and how often you use Purigen? Have you always used Purigen?

Also, what do you think makes your system so successful with LEDs compared to other people? It can't be just simply down to maintaining a stable KH level...surely something else at play here...question is what is or are the main feature of your system to having such huge success?

Many thanks. And keep posting. Your thread has been a source of inspiration since I've been following from the start.

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in post 109 you talk about your filtration. You mention the use of Purigen, can you tell us how much and how often you use Purigen? Have you always used Purigen?

Also, what do you think makes your system so successful with LEDs compared to other people? It can't be just simply down to maintaining a stable KH level...surely something else at play here...question is what is or are the main feature of your system to having such huge success?

Many thanks. And keep posting. Your thread has been a source of inspiration since I've been following from the start.

Thanks for the kind words (and for following :))

Regarding the Purigen I have always used it, it was recommended when I first got back into the hobby so I knew no better :angel: I had always said it helped reduce nitrates and many times I was told that I was wrong. Technically I guess that was be true since what Purigen says it does is it helps remove organics that contribute (paraphrasing here) to nitrates- To me that's semantics, if the end result is a reduction nitrates.

I follow the directions and it sits in a micron filter bag floating in my filter sock that my main display drains into. I have always used it up until about 2 weeks ago. I have this problem you see, my water has zero PO4 and zero NO3:wink:. I pulled my GFO reactor off line about 6+ weeks with hopes of increasing my PO4. Im happy to report that last nights test gave me a reading of .05:clap2: but my NO3 is still zero :cry:.

The reason I want more of both (from zero) is as most everyone has said, a little is needed. Ive increased my fish bioload, feed heavily at least twice a day.

Perhaps my "problem" has come about since I got rid of a few fish ( I don't think that was it) but I believe the real reason, or most of it is the Avast Swabbie has my skimmer running so efficiently that its over skimming. I also unplugged the swabbie about 1 week ago since stopping the use of GFO and Purigen alone were not cutting it.

Neck cleaners for skimmers-one of the BEST additions to a tank-IMO

Regarding my success, I'm pretty OCD on keeping things in order-not a tidy order as I'm a slob, but in working order. I'm big on husbandry and honestly my system is pretty basic. I don't let things get out of control, I see algae starting, I combat it. I vacuum the sand bed occasionally to reduce build up, replace sand as it gets ugly/dirty. I think calcium reactors are better than dosing and I use one controlled by my APEX.

With respect to LEDs I think the better question is why do others have bad luck. Ive done LEDs since it was DIY and have from day one had great luck. I think its everything as a whole that leas to ones success or failure. To have a really healthy thriving system you need to put in time.

Can you do it and not put in a lot of time, sure but I said healthy and successful-:lol: (kidding of course)

Anyway I could ramble more but I wont, thanks again for looking, I'm over-do for an update that's for sure.:doh:
Take care

Back