Reefpi with smart plug

JT26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember reading reefpi work with smart plug so we don’t have to build a power strip. Can anyone comments which smart power strip/plug? Kasa/tplink etc... and how to wire it?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to post an update to this old thread. reef-pi 3.0 is released and you can control hs103, hs105, hs110, hs300 smart plugs/power strips with it. You can also monitor the current (where applicable) and use it to control other things/alert etc.

OP
OP
J

JT26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s is great, I’ll order the hs300 and hopefully can tie others thing into it like ato/dosing

Wanted to post an update to this old thread. reef-pi 3.0 is released and you can control hs103, hs105, hs110, hs300 smart plugs/power strips with it. You can also monitor the current (where applicable) and use it to control other things/alert etc.

OP
OP
J

JT26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib are there any local control to hs300? Just wondering if it does a POST to hs300 and if the connection/internet down, it will not be able to post.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib are there any local control to hs300? Just wondering if it does a POST to hs300 and if the connection/internet down, it will not be able to post.
Yes , it’s all local and does not involve the mothership /cloud shenanigans. Reef-pi driver does straight tcp calls (it’s not http) , with auto key encryption to the smart plugs ,using local WiFi network. It’s should work even if internet is down, but the home networking is fine. I. Using it for over 3 months now for ato, temperature and other automation. You won’t need to flush or change any firmware as well.

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but are there any setup directions for the hs300? Does the reefpi just detect it on the network, or do we need to set it up as a chip or anything like that?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but are there any setup directions for the hs300? Does the reefpi just detect it on the network, or do we need to set it up as a chip or anything like that?
I have not published any official docs. You have to add a new driver with hs300 as type , and IP and port of hs300 unit as address. The port is always 9999, ip you can find out from your router . Let is know if you need any help

woejillis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been eye-balling reef-pi for quite some time and finally bit the bullet when v4.0 released was released.

I run my tank with Kasa HS300 wifi strips connected through Smartthings. It's awesome that reef-pi can control the directly!

I'm able to add the driver and equipment with no issues. The equipment can be turned off and on within reef-pi.

My question is this:
Does reef-pi poll the status regularly? Currently, all of my outlet automation is handled by Smartthings. When the outlets are controlled through the Smartthings or Kasa applications, reef-pi doesn't update the status of the device.

woejillis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have found it does not. I can turn off the plug with alexa and the device will still show as being on in reef-pi.
Thanks for your feedback. I suspected as much but am thankful it's confirmed behavior.

Perhaps the functionality to poll Kasa wifi strips for their status is planned for a future release.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been eye-balling reef-pi for quite some time and finally bit the bullet when v4.0 released was released.

I run my tank with Kasa HS300 wifi strips connected through Smartthings. It's awesome that reef-pi can control the directly!

I'm able to add the driver and equipment with no issues. The equipment can be turned off and on within reef-pi.

My question is this:
Does reef-pi poll the status regularly? Currently, all of my outlet automation is handled by Smartthings. When the outlets are controlled through the Smartthings or Kasa applications, reef-pi doesn't update the status of the device.
It does not. I have thought about this, if we go that route, we'll be trading performance and the quality of that feature is not very reliable (we are still prone to polling interval). My current stance is: Its best to advice the shortcomings (that we do control but dont sync state), and recommend that this is the case and provide guidance (be aware of consequences when you are using multiple things to control the smart plugs , specially when reef-pi reloads, it will sync state during that time)

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another reason for not polling is that temperature, ato etc controller will always enforce state (on/off) at check interval, which makes polling less required (since we are setting the state periodically either way).

woejillis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not. I have thought about this, if we go that route, we'll be trading performance and the quality of that feature is not very reliable (we are still prone to polling interval). My current stance is: Its best to advice the shortcomings (that we do control but dont sync state), and recommend that this is the case and provide guidance (be aware of consequences when you are using multiple things to control the smart plugs , specially when reef-pi reloads, it will sync state during that time)
Another reason for not polling is that temperature, ato etc controller will always enforce state (on/off) at check interval, which makes polling less required (since we are setting the state periodically either way).

Thank you for your quick response!

I understand your viewpoint and have no concept of what it would take to implement polling (both within the reef-pi ecosystem and the hardware resources to consistently poll the data).

I have control panels around my house that are built on ActionTiles and Smartthings. I can initiate Feed Modes and Maintenance Modes on my tank and have automations that control the Kasa wifi strips. As I venture into Reef-Pi, I would expect to want to manage additional automations based on pH, temperature, etc. I also leverage the voice control of Google through their integration into Smartthings.

If there's a mechanism for it, I'd like to formally request the feature but I understand if there's not much value for the community at large.

What you've built is incredible and I'm so excited to implement tighter controls on my tank that are powerful and cost effective!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back