Reefs and consistency

LordJoshaeus

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 23, 2018
Messages
594
Reaction score
538
What state or country do you live in
Maine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggle with bipolar and several other mental health problems; because of that I do not always have the energy to do things when I want to do them and may thus not be as consistent with my saltwater tank maintenance as I would like. Does that mean I am doomed to fail with my saltwater tank and should scrap the project now before I waste too much money on it? I will still set up my brackish tank either way...I'm assuming brackish tanks are less sensitive. Thank you.
 
I struggle with bipolar and several other mental health problems; because of that I do not always have the energy to do things when I want to do them and may thus not be as consistent with my saltwater tank maintenance as I would like. Does that mean I am doomed to fail with my saltwater tank and should scrap the project now before I waste too much money on it? I will still set up my brackish tank either way...I'm assuming brackish tanks are less sensitive. Thank you.

That's tough to say. I'm retired after a career working in public aquariums, and darn it, while I still enjoy a nice reef aquarium, I find that managing my home office tank takes quite a bit of work, and I'm just old and tired (grin).

I find that planning my tank work in an upcoming week (not too far in advance) allows me to pick a "free day" to do the work, and then I stick to that schedule. I also "work smarter" - for example, instead of hunching over the tank to scrape algae off the glass, I pull up a tall chair and work that way - much easier on my back.

I don't see a whole lot of difference between maintaining a basic brackish tank versus caring for a reef tank with good equipment.....I'd never consider setting up a brackish tank (with what I feel are rather boring results) versus having a really nice reef tank to look at when I'm not working on it!

Tank size also comes into play - you can set up a really nice AIO reef with perhaps 15 gallons of capacity, with much less "heavy lifting" then a 100 gallon tank would have.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new