Reefwave Battery Backup? Icecap Backup Ver. 2 Work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dan Ugas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to keep in mind is that the cable which connects the battery to the Reefwave is short. I installed mine on the back left side where I have the controller installed. The cable from controller to the powerhead is very long so thats were you have the distance to play with. Basically, battery and controller go very close to each other.

54E5AA18-4BB7-43A4-8713-E6E8F8F6922A.jpeg 452F0CE3-6766-4523-AC93-4EB297EE9CAD.jpeg

reefomatix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey RR!, sorry i’m replying late. Tons of crap going on at the same time. The Icecap works like a champ!!, I let it charge for 24 hrs prior to connecting the Reefwave. The power outage test worked just fine, no interruption at all on the flow. I left it running for about 4 hrs tho, and my current setting is the pulse mode at 40%, more than that and the sand bed begins to stir all over the place.
Glad my info was correct and useful! Happy to help where I can.

You had the 45, right? Did it run for the full 4 hours? Did you stop early or did the battery die?

reefomatix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to keep in mind is that the cable which connects the battery to the Reefwave is short. I installed mine on the back left side where I have the controller installed. The cable from controller to the powerhead is very long so thats were you have the distance to play with. Basically, battery and controller go very close to each other.

54E5AA18-4BB7-43A4-8713-E6E8F8F6922A.jpeg 452F0CE3-6766-4523-AC93-4EB297EE9CAD.jpeg
I'm not 100% sure on the inside diameter, but I believe any 5.5mm (outer diameter) x 2.5mm (internal pin) cable or extension should solve this for you. If it's too loose, then the inner diameter is 2.1mm, but I'm 90% positive 2.5mm is correct for this high of voltage and power. The order in which they state the measurements doesn't matter here, it's just vendor preference (5.5x2.5mm = 5.5mm x 2.5mm = 2.5x5.5mm = 2.5mm x 5.5mm).

Here's an example of an extension cable:

OR just replace the whole short cable with something like this:

(This has right angles)

Not sure if the wire gauge (AWG) matters too much or not since it's only about 2 amperes (amps).

Dan Ugas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad my info was correct and useful! Happy to help where I can.

You had the 45, right? Did it run for the full 4 hours? Did you stop early or did the battery die?
Hey brother!, I actually left it running for almost 12 hours just in back up battery, no issues at all!.

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply. I have the 45.

So far, I've only tested it for a couple of hours. I'm happy to see that its providing a good amount of flow with the program that I've set. I really turn it up at night to clear up the detritus that may have settled. The controller and cable length haven't been an issue for my set up.

DJMCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding this thread was really helpful! I bought a second Reefwave 45 and an IceCap v.2 yesterday.... without checking... yeah, I'm kind of like that. Anyway, I've got the IceCap charging and feel way better knowing I'll still have flow if the power drops here. Reefers like you guys, and Reef2Reef in general, are an awesome resource.

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding this thread was really helpful! I bought a second Reefwave 45 and an IceCap v.2 yesterday.... without checking... yeah, I'm kind of like that. Anyway, I've got the IceCap charging and feel way better knowing I'll still have flow if the power drops here. Reefers like you guys, and Reef2Reef in general, are an awesome resource.
Glad it helped!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back