View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I had an old bottle (2 years old) of this:
IMG_1331.JPG
so I went online and bought this:
IMG_1332.JPG
The solution from BRS is reading 33ppt when calibrated with the old Aqua Craft solution, so I figured maybe it was due to evaporation over time. But I wasn't convinced......so I just bought a new bottom of Aqua Craft solution, and it reads exactly the same as the older bottle of Aqua Craft. Hmmm..... Is the stuff from BRS off by 2ppt? Which one should I trust? I'm thinking Aqua Craft. I'm surprised how different the solution from BRS is. Any thoughts? Thanks [emoji16]

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That crazy. If you can, have a reefer friend or LFS test your calibration solutions with their refractometer. I have two different brands of calibration, and they are both the same. Something is not right.

OP
OP
GoPitt88

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason for concern is that my tank is at 1.0255 when calibrated against the Aqua Craft, but it's at 1.027 when calibrated against the BRS solution. Ugh!

OP
OP
GoPitt88

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That crazy. If you can, have a reefer friend or LFS test your calibration solutions with their refractometer. I have two different brands of calibration, and they are both the same. Something is not right.

What do you use to calibrate?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I had an old bottle (2 years old) of this:
IMG_1331.JPG
so I went online and bought this:
IMG_1332.JPG
The solution from BRS is reading 33ppt when calibrated with the old Aqua Craft solution, so I figured maybe it was due to evaporation over time. But I wasn't convinced......so I just bought a new bottom of Aqua Craft solution, and it reads exactly the same as the older bottle of Aqua Craft. Hmmm..... Is the stuff from BRS off by 2ppt? Which one should I trust? I'm thinking Aqua Craft. I'm surprised how different the solution from BRS is. Any thoughts? Thanks [emoji16]

@HolisticBear

(lol)
Please chime in... :D

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HolisticBear

(lol)
Please chime in... :D

BRS had a bad batch, the number is EXP041822, mentioned in this post. A big gotcha with the top solution (any solution) is you need to shake it well before every use.

If you don't, after a number of uses and in your case two-years, the calibration solution can become more concentrated than 35.

EDIT: To BRS's credit, I think they sent a mass email to every customer that purchased that lot and removed the offending lot from their inventory.

OP
OP
GoPitt88

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS had a bad batch, the number is EXP041822, mentioned in this post. A big gotcha with the top solution (any solution) is you need to shake it well before every use.

If you don't, after a number of uses and in your case two-years, the calibration solution can become more concentrated than 35.

EDIT: To BRS's credit, I think they sent a mass email to every customer that purchased that lot and removed the offending lot from their inventory.

OMG! That's the batch I have! See the pic. Just sent BRS an email. Thank you SO much!
441b33988df45757f8e7b1b647624803.jpg

OP
OP
GoPitt88

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I bought a new batch of Aqua Craft solution after the batch from BRS read low. My new batch of Aqua Craft solution reads the same as my old batch of Aqua Craft solution. So now I feel confident that my tank salinity is exactly where I want it. Phew! [emoji16]

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 35ppt calibration fluid with an expiration date of 2004 and just referenced it with 25ppt calibration fluid, still good!

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think solution goes "bad".

I made the mistake of not shaking a AquaCraft bottle prior to use. I used it almost weekly for 6-8 months, so maybe 1/3 - 1/4 empty. I bought a new AquaCraft bottle and the old one 'read 1ppm high". So just remember to shake it and I think you're good to go.

They are cheap, so grab a second one every now and then. You can also calculate salinity via your ICP report and it should roughly match as well.

ReefSCTim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use that same Aqua Craft solution to calibrate my refractometer. Once calibrated, it says my tank salt is at 30 ppm. My new Neptune salinity probe say it is at 48.1 ppm. Sure hope this gets easier soon!!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back