Refractometer calibration

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gave in and bought the Hanna checker.
Cal and tested tank and low and behold my tank was spot on 35ppm.
So I used tank water total my refractor to 35 and checked my rodi water 0.
Ha, that always happens :)

Don't waste money on the Hanna Calibration fluids.

Make some DIY following Randy's recipe, adjust it using a Hanna sachet as comparison so they are the same, and then keep the DIY in a tightly capped bottle. Make 500ml or so :)

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, that always happens :)

Don't waste money on the Hanna Calibration fluids.

Make some DIY following Randy's recipe, adjust it using a Hanna sachet as comparison so they are the same, and then keep the DIY in a tightly capped bottle. Make 500ml or so :)
totally off topic... i noticed your profile pic and i wanted to ask a question concerning my goniopora. have you ever experienced peppermint shrimp eating goni corals? maybe it was just eating the dead flesh? i saw one yesterday crawling on my new goni coral at night and i was wondering if i should move them to the sump or just keep them in the display. sorry for the random question lol

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid almost as much for the refractometer. That's what you get buying from a store that employs kids and others with little real experience.
Lesson learned
lol the only person who knows anything at my LFS is the owner and hes always to busy to give a dam. im not even sure if any of the employees own a fish tank..

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally off topic... i noticed your profile pic and i wanted to ask a question concerning my goniopora. have you ever experienced peppermint shrimp eating goni corals? maybe it was just eating the dead flesh? i saw one yesterday crawling on my new goni coral at night and i was wondering if i should move them to the sump or just keep them in the display. sorry for the random question lol
Hi, my profile pic is of a toadstool softie, but I do have Gonis and Peppermint shrimp in a tank, and the peppermint shrimp do wander around all over the corals at night.

I've never seen them take a bite of a coral. They do pick food out of the corals though, including right out of the mouths of Scolly's.

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my profile pic is of a toadstool softie, but I do have Gonis and Peppermint shrimp in a tank, and the peppermint shrimp do wander around all over the corals at night.

I've never seen them take a bite of a coral. They do pick food out of the corals though, including right out of the mouths of Scolly's.
lol thanks. i had no idea that was a toadstool

Back