Refractometer calibration

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibration solutions are cheaper than worrying about how accurate your kitchen scale is
If you read Randy's article, it explains that most kitchen measuring spoons/cups are accurate, and he gives a formula to make a 3.65 weight percent solution.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can find one locally
I looked for Hanna salinity cal fluid. Only found ebay store in UK
If you don't want to go the DIY path, just figure out what ppt the Hanna fluid is and try to find another brand/ manufacturer.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibration solutions are cheaper than worrying about how accurate your kitchen scale is
If you scale up the recipe for Randy's diy calibration solution 10x then small measuring differences with scales won't matter. Sure you make way more solution than you need, but it still costs essentially nothing to make. I also trusty own solution much more than bought solutions.

@PeterEde what refractometer are you using?

Neon_Devil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a refractometer for years and dealt with the calibration solution issue. I recently bought the Hannah salinity tester and I love it. It's pricy but what isn't in this hobby. It also reads the water temp at the same time. I would recommend this item to everyone

Amazon product

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a refractometer for years and dealt with the calibration solution issue. I recently bought the Hannah salinity tester and I love it. It's pricy but what isn't in this hobby. It also reads the water temp at the same time. I would recommend this item to everyone

Amazon product

I have that also and ironically I hate it. It's convenient to use, but my reading jumps around all over the place. It doesn't always settle on one value.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you scale up the recipe for Randy's diy calibration solution 10x then small measuring differences with scales won't matter. Sure you make way more solution than you need, but it still costs essentially nothing to make. I also trusty own solution much more than bought solutions.

@PeterEde what refractometer are you using?
Aquamedic

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Amazon product

$75 US it's $140 in Australia

Neon_Devil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that also and ironically I hate it. It's convenient to use, but my reading jumps around all over the place. It doesn't always settle on one value.
That's a bummer. I found it a hassle dealing with the refractometer. As long as we all get 1.026 right?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquamedic
I'm not sure with store bought solutions but I know with the diy ones the solution to calibrate a refractometer is not the same as the one to calibrate a conductivity probe/tester. I'm not sure if Hanna sells a solution for refractometers but I don't think you can use the one they sell for conductivity for a refractometer.

Basically just make sure you are using the right solution for your device (again I'm assuming there is a difference on store bought solutions).

Back