Refugium Algae?

ratposs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have a 20 gallon fijicube with chaeto in the refugium (it may be hard to see, but it is in fact in there). I am using a fluval nano light, running opposite the display tank. I am having a problem with a reddish brown buildup on the acrylic walls. It is pretty difficult to scrape off with a scratch pad. I am not sure what it is specifically. I have had issues recently that are being handled with high phosphates (currently at 1 ppm, down from 3 ppm and continuing to drop), and high alk (currently around 14 dkh, and slowly swapping out salt from reef crystals to fritz). My skimmer is finally working properly and pulling phosphates effectively. I know that the photo doesn't really do the issue justice. Any advice?

refugium photo.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have a 20 gallon fijicube with chaeto in the refugium (it may be hard to see, but it is in fact in there). I am using a fluval nano light, running opposite the display tank. I am having a problem with a reddish brown buildup on the acrylic walls. It is pretty difficult to scrape off with a scratch pad. I am not sure what it is specifically. I have had issues recently that are being handled with high phosphates (currently at 1 ppm, down from 3 ppm and continuing to drop), and high alk (currently around 14 dkh, and slowly swapping out salt from reef crystals to fritz). My skimmer is finally working properly and pulling phosphates effectively. I know that the photo doesn't really do the issue justice. Any advice?

refugium photo.jpg
I would guess that you are growing a golden algae. I would have guessed diatoms or dinoflagellates until I read that it was difficult to remove.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back