Refugium and algae reactor together?

Ecotech Marine

jcherr007

View Badges
Reaction score
I’m planning out an upgrade from a 75 gallon to a 135 gallon DT, and was given a small sump to add to my existing sump/system that is only designed for a 125 gallon DT, so I’m going to add the small sump and planning a algae reactor to help, does it make sense to have both? A fuge and the reactor? I think there is more benefits to a fuge than just nutrient control.... but from what I’m reading a reactor is just that nutrient control devise... opinions??

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

theMeat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Depends on bio load.
Agreed, refugium offers more than just nutrient control. An ats or reactor can reduce more nutrients in less space.
I started my tank with both and took ats off line about 9 months in. Many keep the ats and find there refuge macro fades away and keep it that way.

Auquanut

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I started with a fuge early on when I started my 125. I had this great idea that I would add an ATS and eventually convert the fuge into a frag tank of sorts. Well, as my fish grew (especially the tangs), and the bioload grew with them, I found that my heavy in/heavy out approach to nutrient control worked well keeping both going. My fish and corals are really diggin it. I've found that the fuge is a good pod farm (at least mine is), and the ATS (or reactor) is simply a very effective method of nutrient control. It really depends on your bioload and your approach to feeding your fish and corals.

What types of R2R interview articles are you most excited about?

• Specific reef topics! (List the ones you'd like to see us cover in the thread.)

Votes: 74 39.6%
  • Specific reef personalities! (List the people you'd like us to interview in the thread.)

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Not that concerned about the topics...I just wanna see the awesome PICTURES!

Votes: 36 19.3%
  • All of the above!! ...and yes, I'll list some in the thread. :-)

Votes: 67 35.8%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Hanna